yeneneshabebe

yeneneshabebe

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Ethiopia

Hello!
I have some question about 3D visualization. Currently I am using Arc Gis 9.3 which has 3D analyst extension with it. I want to create maps in 3D. But I haven't seen any option there. Does 3D mapping needs other additional extensions? What are Arc Globe and Arc Scene ? Are they different extensions of Arc GIS? Hope some one will help me on this.

Thanks for all cartotalk contributers .

Crischan

Crischan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Spatial Information Design
  • Germany

ArcScene and ArcGlobe are both part of the 3D Analyst. ArcScene offers the ability to generate 3D views from GIS Data. ArcGlobe is kinda like Google Earth as you are bound to a sphere on which your data is shown. Both offer more than basic 3D view functionality, but lack high-class output options. For more realistic 3D views, you should consider Visual Nature Studio.

The offer functionality offered by the 3D Analyst is mainly about DEM handling and analysis - think line of sight, watersheds and so on.
Crischan Wygoda
http://wygoda.net

yeneneshabebe

yeneneshabebe

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Ethiopia

ArcScene and ArcGlobe are both part of the 3D Analyst. ArcScene offers the ability to generate 3D views from GIS Data. ArcGlobe is kinda like Google Earth as you are bound to a sphere on which your data is shown. Both offer more than basic 3D view functionality, but lack high-class output options. For more realistic 3D views, you should consider Visual Nature Studio.

The offer functionality offered by the 3D Analyst is mainly about DEM handling and analysis - think line of sight, watersheds and so on.

Thanks Crischan

I know that both ArcScene and ArcGlobe give good 3D visualization functionality. But what I have seen in 3D analyst extension is only the analysis tools not the above two. What I wnat to know is where can I get them in the 3D analyst extension packages??? The GIS software is the licensed one from ESRI. The asumption of including 3D anlyst during the purchasing process was to use it for visualization and analysis purpose . The available tools in the 3D analyst extension are the following :
Conversion
Functional surface
Raster Interpolation
Raster Math
Raster Reclass
Raster Surface
Terrain
TIN Creation
TIN Surface

Where are the visualization tools?
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic