• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Sakura

Sakura

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • New Zealand

Hi, I'm new at all of this so please bear with me and my questions :)

I have a project and need some ideas:

How would you map your life? - How would you present the information in a visual form?

How would you symbolise your places of interest , using symbols and colour schemes that add interesting content to the base maps?

Base maps - I'm using Google Earth at the moment, but any other sofware suggestions for this are welcome (preferably free ones).

I had an idea to place different symbols for different themes - like where I've lived, places I would like to travel and places I've studied etc, any suggestons would be great.

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

How would you map your life? - How would you present the information in a visual form?

Hey Sakura,

That's a very interesting idea. Will the final form be in digital format?

The first thing that came to my mind was to have a digital timeline with links to maps at key points in my life. Not sure if that would work but that's what came to mind.

Whatever route you ended up going, it would be interesting to see the results.

Good luck!
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

well, maybe graduated circles, one for pain, one for pleasure.

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

That would be a very exciting project to do.
I would go in the direction of imaginary maps.
I would construct a general generic landscape. I could see a main highway going through different 'provinces' representing either life stages (childhood, jobs, relationships etc..) or they could be geographical areas that one lived in. and you expand into details from there.
Maybe I,ll do one for myself...if I ever get the time.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

axel

axel

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Sweden

I did that a couple of months ago when working on my CV and portfolio. I focused on mapping my clients and milestone projects plus some important private and family milestones. I made a large print out and brought it on job interviews. It was a great tool for showing what I have done and what I am good at. Also the customers get a great overview at a glance.

I used Open Street Map Stockholm street data as a base and played with it in Illustrator and Mapublisher. Just black and white with text Looks very clean and neat... :) No symbols or other stuff to clutter it up. :o

Edit: Try using a subway map as a base map. The London one is a classic that would make a great life map.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,872 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I did that a couple of months ago when working on my CV and portfolio. I focused on mapping my clients and milestone projects plus some important private and family milestones. I made a large print out and brought it on job interviews. It was a great tool for showing what I have done and what I am good at. Also the customers get a great overview at a glance.

I used Open Street Map Stockholm street data as a base and played with it in Illustrator and Mapublisher. Just black and white with text Looks very clean and neat... :) No symbols or other stuff to clutter it up. :o

Edit: Try using a subway map as a base map. The London one is a classic that would make a great life map.

Sounds really interesting. Would you mind posting it here?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

Hi, I'm new at all of this so please bear with me and my questions :)

I have a project and need some ideas:

How would you symbolise your places of interest , using symbols and colour schemes that add interesting content to the base maps?

Base maps - I'm using Google Earth at the moment, but any other sofware suggestions for this are welcome (preferably free ones).

I had an idea to place different symbols for different themes - like where I've lived, places I would like to travel and places I've studied etc, any suggestons would be great.

I remember the song of Simon n Garfunkel...

I'd rather be a forest than a street
Yes I would, if I could, I surely would
I'd rather feel the earth beneath my feet
Yes I would, if I only could, I surely would

You can listen it here.....http://www.jango.com/music/simon+and+garfunkel/el+condor+pasa/

And here you are combining, life with the street, the song is beautiful and your thought is beautiful too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->