Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Hey all!

Just finished this map for our client in Europe (my second overseas map) and they've applied it to their client's tourism zoom in browser engine for interactivity. We/mapformation, LLC only handled the illustration part of this project. All artwork was rendered in Adobe Illustrator Cs3 on an iMac. Took me about 8 weeks, however I was also working on three other maps at the same time! Reference materials were at the minimum. No aerial photos, no hi res online imagery available in birds-eye-view. Client supplied many, many ground photos of buildings, landscape for the detail work, and essentially I used Google Maps/Earth for visual references too. Time was a factor and budget too and it was the understanding that the area along the river and in the center of Newark was to be highly detailed - especially the castle - as opposed to the generic residential areas which were essentially stylized and cloned. Purpose of this map is for tourism usage and local residents and businesses. I like it alot, I put alot of extra detail into it - such as the packet canal boats, and even little cars, and crosses on the churches! But unfortunately that detail does not come across well at all when fully zoomed in on the browser as they had to rasterize the vectored artwork. You'll see how it looks fuzzy - but is still acceptable. Still working out those kinks to balance online speed vs. user convenience vs. aesthetically pleasing on this browser engine.

Let me know what you think!

Link to client site: http://www.3dnewark.co.uk/3d-map.html

Michael Karpovage

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • United States

Excellent work!
Looks like they need to add more info for their various categories and labels for streets... :-)
And I wish I could zoom in even further; hard to make much use of the map with "older" eyes! (I tried setting my browser zoom level to 200% and that held up pretty well - and I could see a more useful level of detail)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Dave McIlhagga

Dave McIlhagga

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Canada

Hi Michael,

Beautiful work - gives a wonderful insight into the feel of the town.

I especially like the "Hollywood-esque" Newark sign. :)
Dave McIlhagga

www.mapsherpa.com

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

Thanks Dave, the client has just started that site with the map not a couple of weeks ago, hence why the categories are light. Having this map in place though actually helps their sales process because now people can "see" where they would be posted on the map. So, again, they are just in the very early stages.

I hear ya on not seeing the detail. From my standpoint as the artist I want to see all of my efforts laboring over the fine detail be shown to all of the people seeing this map and it's tough to bite the bullet in terms of limited technology out there on the Internet in order to balance it with fast usage. I am optimistic though as internet speeds increase this will allow larger (higher resolution files) the ability to be displayed.

Michael

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

It looks great! I am not a fan of the web interface, the pan / zoom tool seems clunky and difficult to use. If you increased the window size and added a more reliable pan tool, I think this could be a great little tool!
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

Greg, I agree wholeheartedly, and I've seen better. But in this case that zoom engine interface was created with another company that we have no control over.

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

mrfaize

mrfaize

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • United Kingdom

Nice looking map Michael having been through Newark more than a few times.

Not wanting to sound like I'm on a crusade but another blatant admission of using Google Earth/Maps to derive a new mapping product but happy to put own copyright against the product. Is this is now a resource used by many cartographers/designers rightly or wrongly? How can cartographers who don't use this resource be competitive?

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

Nice looking map Michael having been through Newark more than a few times.

Not wanting to sound like I'm on a crusade but another blatant admission of using Google Earth/Maps to derive a new mapping product but happy to put own copyright against the product. Is this is now a resource used by many cartographers/designers rightly or wrongly? How can cartographers who don't use this resource be competitive?

Hmmmm, that is a really good question. I can see where you are going with this. First of all, there is nothing stopping you from using online resources as references to BE competitive. Unless, you don't have an internet hookup! :-) But I do know this: I would be completely in big copyright trouble if I were to use a screen capture from Google Earth of Newark at an oblique angle and then blatantly went out and sold that screen capture "as is" as my own artwork for a profit. That is a complete illegal rip off. Even if I drew a few roads on there myself or a house or castle or whatever and there was still a small part of the original screen capture showing through, then under the law - at least in the U.S. from what I'm familiar with, then that art would be an infringement upon the original creators -- Google. But I think we cartographers are okay and can be competitive with another as long as we are only using these online resources as just reference materials. And that's how I use it - as a last resort - because it sucks for the types of pictorial maps I create. Preferably I want clients to give us aerial photographs THEY photographed for our reference because the resolution is much higher and we get an array of various angle to choose from. If the client doesn't have any then typically hire an aerial photographer for the client and then create original reference artwork. But as a last resort when the client's budget cannot handle an additional $1,000 for an aerial photo then we'll go to Google or Bing or whatever online resource we can find to help us reference the area needed. And I see no reason why you as a cartographer cannot use these references too and be competitive.

To summarize, if you only use online references as just that - references among many other references you find, then you should have no fear because you are creating NEW artwork on top of that reference that has never been created before. But if you blatantly steal an online reference and sell it as your own creation "as is", then it obvious you'd be getting a letter from an attorney!!!

Hope this helps!

Michael

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

mrfaize

mrfaize

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • United Kingdom

Michael - Thanks for the polite, measured response.

I agree directly reproducing the imagery is a no-no in it's original form or manipulated in some way. I take your point about using it as a reference material. I believe having it on screen together with other sources should allow you to compile (not directly trace over the image or other detail) from it.

However from Google Maps/Earth Terms of Use:

"You may not use the imagery in any commercial or business environment or for any commercial or business purposes for yourself or any third parties."

and

"Restrictions on Use. Unless you have received prior written authorization from Google (or, as applicable, from the provider of particular Content), you must not:
copy, translate, modify, or make derivative works of the Content or any part thereof "

Now to take your point about screen grabbing the image. There are copyright notices at the bottom of the screen and for the Newark area these include Infoterra Ltd & Bluesky, Get Mapping. These are commercial companies who pay for the capture equipment, flying time, processing time to produce these images. They sell these images to pay for this expenditure. Clients can purchase these if they have nothing themselves. I'm not sure how far the Google Terms of Use extends to derived works. Someone else has pointed out that you can't copyright fact but how you access that fact is a different matter.

I think all of this is a very grey area and open to interpretation.

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

I think all of this is a very grey area and open to interpretation.

I agree with you. It is very grey and can be interpreted in different ways. I advocate that Google should only be used for planning and reference purposes only and I'm very comfortable that's how I accessed the software.

Michael

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

mrfaize,

I forgot to mention that the satellite images provided on Google by Infoterra Ltd & Bluesky, Get Mapping of Newark where unusable for us to even purchase because they didn't fit our parameters. Otherwise we would have certainly considered purchasing good reference. Their images were of 2D flat down satellite view and we needed a true close up hi res 3D oblique angle birds-eye-view that shows three sides of buildings as opposed to rooftops only. Hopefully, in the future they can expand their photography line to include birds-eye-view so we CAN purchase good reference materials.

Michael

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

However from Google Maps/Earth Terms of Use:

"You may not use the imagery in any commercial or business environment or for any commercial or business purposes for yourself or any third parties."

and

"Restrictions on Use. Unless you have received prior written authorization from Google (or, as applicable, from the provider of particular Content), you must not: copy, translate, modify, or make derivative works of the Content or any part thereof "

Can I just say that this is why attorneys have it SO good, at least here in the United States?! :)

Ten different people can read those statements and interpret them in ten different ways. Like that first statement. I am trying to find my way to a theoretical meeting in Minneapolis to meet with a new client...so TECHNICALLY I cannot use Google Maps because it is being used to guide me to a meeting for my commercial company?! :huh: This meeting is worth thousands of dollars to our company...so missing the meeting via getting lost while driving is NOT an option!

Okay, so that is a ridiculous example, but under the formal wording of their Terms of Use, technically wouldn't that be considered to be a gray area? Aren't I technically using Google Maps/Earth for "commercial or business purposes?" Isn't my firm profiting from the use of their tool?

Google is a tricky one. I've been trying to help them on the image optimization front for probably two years now, and they won't even return my phone calls or email. I've illustrated how the file size of their image tiles in their Google Maps resource are probably 28-32 percent larger than they need to be (without affecting on-screen appearance whatsoever), without a peep from them. I also use Google Maps API keys to use their service to overlay custom artwork on top of their tiles for display on third party web sites. I don't profit one penny from doing that. However, I CAN subsequently profit from other people seeing what a king kong-sized dent that optimization work can make on the 'net as a whole...and/or clients paying for my time in coding interactive map pages or populating custom XML data.

In Michael's case, however, the Maps/Earth imagery was nothing more than a reference/background check to make sure that he's got the relationship of sidewalks, streets and buildings reasonably correct in a base grid. I can't believe that type of use would get him in hot water, since his completed work looks NOTHING like any 8-bit map tiles or blurry oblique photo...although who knows anymore in this litigious society that we live in.
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

3dnewark

3dnewark

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi all, I am the Managing Director of 3d Marketing Concepts UK and would just like to say how pleased we are with the 3d Newark Map, many thanks Michael for your hard work and attention to detail. The map of Newark is planned as a pilot scheme, which will be tweaked and fine tuned to provide a unique service to towns across the UK. Many months of hard work from many parties including Michael and the teams at 3d Marketing Europe and here in the UK have certainly paid off and produced something visually pleasing and useable (to the laymen).

Watch this space for more to come.

Regards, David Hyde

Sergio Huykman

Sergio Huykman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Argentina

Michael,

In my opinion the "electric green" is too persistent and hue devoid. Also, dark grey in the streets hide the small details.

But, since all this stuff is a matter of taste (or requirements), my opinion is that looking "through" the map I feel your devotion, I see your thoroughness and I sense your compromise. This kind of map solution certainly improves the role of cartography on the web.

Thanks for your effort!

Sergio

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the feedback Sergio. :)

--