4 replies to this topic

liz1110

liz1110

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

In the last few months I have been learning to use ArcGIS at the request of my employer. I have worked my way through a couple of tutorial books but I haven't taken any classes yet, online or otherwise. In an effort to practice with the program while doing something useful, I am making a map showing the restaurants in the vicinity of my workplace to help us find new places to go for lunch. I am using ArcMap for this project. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to create range rings that I can put on the map to show the distances of the restaurants from our office. This would help us figure out how long it would take to drive to the various places we would like to try.
Liz Cruz

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

In the last few months I have been learning to use ArcGIS at the request of my employer. I have worked my way through a couple of tutorial books but I haven't taken any classes yet, online or otherwise. In an effort to practice with the program while doing something useful, I am making a map showing the restaurants in the vicinity of my workplace to help us find new places to go for lunch. I am using ArcMap for this project. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to create range rings that I can put on the map to show the distances of the restaurants from our office. This would help us figure out how long it would take to drive to the various places we would like to try.

You should try to built a network. For driving distance it's way more accurate than rings or buffer. I think there's a tutorial about that as well in the ArcGIS' documentation...

zeppor

zeppor

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

You should try to built a network. For driving distance it's way more accurate than rings or buffer. I think there's a tutorial about that as well in the ArcGIS' documentation...

Using Arc Toolbox > Analysis Tools > Proximity > Multiple Ring Buffer

This should get you the rings you are looking for, but building a network seems like it would be more relevant.

liz1110

liz1110

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

Thanks Zeppor! I didn't think to use the buffering function. I was looking for a way to create circles at the required size using the drawing tools. Since I'm making a wall map, the range rings are the way to go with this project.

Francois - I'm afraid that creating a network to try to estimate driving times is just a bit beyond my rudimentary ArcMap skills, but I'll certainly keep it in mind for future projects.
Liz Cruz

blackpoll

blackpoll

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Multiple-ring buffer would get you "as the crow flies" distances, but not true walking distance.

A service area / drive time calculation using the network analyst extension would be the most accurate way to do this.

-blpw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->