• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

jennastics

jennastics

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Hello again, board! I have a question and hope someone can walk me through it...

I have an area (polygon) and within that area are streets, houses, other features, etc. Is there a way to exclude certain features within my original area to create a shapefile of the areas BETWEEN the features I don't want included?

Thanks! This board is very helpful! :)

jennastics

jennastics

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Does that make sense?

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Does that make sense?

I'd like to help you, but I'm not sure I understand... Looks like you'll need some Analysis Tools from ArcToolbox (Clip, Extract, Intersects, ...), but I don't know which one to suggest... Maybe an example?

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Couldn't you just select the features by using a SQL command then deleting them in ArcMap?

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

jennastics

jennastics

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Couldn't you just select the features by using a SQL command then deleting them in ArcMap?

Hmmm. I'm not sure. I need all the features to remain on the map, I just need to create a shapefile of the areas BETWEEN the houses and streets and other features WITHIN a "footprint" area called Areas Available for Development. So, the open areas... you know?

jennastics

jennastics

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Does that make sense?

I'd like to help you, but I'm not sure I understand... Looks like you'll need some Analysis Tools from ArcToolbox (Clip, Extract, Intersects, ...), but I don't know which one to suggest... Maybe an example?

Yep. I'm thinking this is the way to go... but I'm not TOO familiar with this process, and from what I've seen, it only lets me clip one thing at a time.

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Yep. I'm thinking this is the way to go... but I'm not TOO familiar with this process, and from what I've seen, it only lets me clip one thing at a time.

In that case, there's a Batch Clip script on the ArcScript page.

Could be what you need...

jbl

jbl

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United States

If I understand you you can
Set the feature layer for editing, select the desired and then export the selected features as a new .shp file

or

Select the desired features so that they fill the entire ArcMap window, then export 'all features in view extent' as a new .shp file.

If I didn't understand the problem, sorry about that.

klacefield

klacefield

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • United States

It sounds like you want to use the erase tool, not the clip tool within ArcMap. The erase tool is only available with an ArcInfo license of ArcMap. However, if you only have an ArcView licence then there appears to be help in the way of a downloadable script (http://arcscripts.es....asp?dbid=14625). I have not tried this script as I have an ArcInfo license, but that is what I found after a quick search.

Good luck,
Kevin Lacefield, GIS Programmer Analyst
County of Sonoma
Information Systems Department - GIS Central

jennastics

jennastics

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

It sounds like you want to use the erase tool, not the clip tool within ArcMap. The erase tool is only available with an ArcInfo license of ArcMap. However, if you only have an ArcView licence then there appears to be help in the way of a downloadable script (http://arcscripts.es....asp?dbid=14625). I have not tried this script as I have an ArcInfo license, but that is what I found after a quick search.

Good luck,

This is, fortunately, EXACTLY what I needed. Unfortunately, I'm just having funky issues with my liscense. Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh. But, I'm in contact with ESRI support and getting it straightened out. Thanks, again!

jennastics

jennastics

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Also, until I'm able to get this licensing problem fixed, I am just manually digitizing the areas for now.

ceicher

ceicher

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • United States

Another idea similar idea. Use "Select By Location" to select the features you want to delete, then open the table(s) in ArcMap, start editing, and delete the selected features.

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

Hello again, board! I have a question and hope someone can walk me through it...

I have an area (polygon) and within that area are streets, houses, other features, etc. Is there a way to exclude certain features within my original area to create a shapefile of the areas BETWEEN the features I don't want included?

Now you have an area polygon and if all the features on top of it, as you said, roads, houses, other features are area features, you can merge all these features to create another area feature. Then you can just exclude the new area feature from the main area polygon. But if the roads and streets are not area feature then it is not going to work.

Anu
http://www.mapsandlocations.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

As usual I'd like to present an alternative to Arc :rolleyes:

The Clipper in FME (available in all editions) does exactly this.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

jennastics

jennastics

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Now you have an area polygon and if all the features on top of it, as you said, roads, houses, other features are area features, you can merge all these features to create another area feature. Then you can just exclude the new area feature from the main area polygon. But if the roads and streets are not area feature then it is not going to work.

Anu
http://www.mapsandlocations.com

What is the tool to merge them? Is it union?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->