• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Saw this in the paper the other day - a middle aged Swedish couple type 'Capri' (the famed Italian Island) wrong, and ended up in Northern Italy, in the industrial town of Carpi instead (which is not an island!).

The full (short story) as reported in various places world wide:
Google News links

(in case the above link doesn't work, try this one: Roman Forum blog)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Quite interesting that most of the article titles seem to imply it was the GPS (actually, their satellite navigation device) that caused the error, while in reality it worked just fine and sent them exactly to the location they had entered... It's not bad satnav, it's dumb people...
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

That depends on what the mapserver application, if they are using Google Maps then it's believable since I see errors like that all the time.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

Many of the articles say the couple typed in Carpi. It was their error. Is the satnav supposed to "correct" people who type in a real place?
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Sweden

Very similar story in the paper today, but not as bad - a guy navigated to the wrong place when heading for the town of Slite on the island of Gotland (in the Baltic Sea, popular summer/tourist destination), he typed in Silte in his car and ended up on the other end of the island...
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

I borrowed a friend's truck last Winter to go up to Minneapolis, and I particularly enjoyed the 10+ minutes of his TomTom blinking and buzzing at me because I was apparently driving "off roads" through fields, streams, etc. Never mind that I was driving on a four-lane highway that had opened well over one year earlier...less than half an hour from the 14th largest metro in the United States. :rolleyes:
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Sweden

More GPS gaffe stories at BBC: http://news.bbc.co.u...int/8174216.stm
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

I like to call these kind of mishaps 'GPScapades'
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
- blog
- maps

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

I'm sure there are some of those stories that are due to limitations of satnav (data that is out of date, changing road conditions, etc.) or actual errors in the data or the route-finding algorithms. Others are "user error". What strikes me the most though is how long it takes for some people to figure out they went the wrong way or to a different destination. More understandable when you're farther from home in unfamiliar territory. Maybe it would've helped if they had a cartographer with them! :lol: (or not, knowing my own lack of sense of direction!) ha ha
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

If only the GPS had been made by Google, it would have said, "Do you mean Capri instead?"

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

...Maybe it would've helped if they had a cartographer with them! :lol: (or not, knowing my own lack of sense of direction!) ha ha

Thank goodness, someone else who has to turn the map round to point it in the right direction :). To me, this story shows all the signs of having been made up by a follower of the journalistic persuasion. An unnamed "Swedish couple"? Attributed to "an Italian official" or alternatively a "spokesman for Carpi town-hall"?

Nicodemus's forecast for 2010: On a slow news-day reports will be received of a Norwegian couple who wishing to drive to Carpi arrived in Capri, as a result of entering the wrong name in their GPS receiver.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->