DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

Hello, my name is Dave and I have a "mapping problem" :D

I am one of the ESRI folks who attended the NACIS meeting in Salt Lake City. I had a great time there with all of the other members of that esteemed drinking society and enjoyed the opportunity to talk with a few of the CartoTalk people (like Nick, who did the cool Evropa map).

As for my background, I earned my BA in Geography at SDSU (San Diego State University), where I studied cartography and GIS. I earned my Master's at Penn State. I had the privelege and pleasure to study under Cindy Brewer and Alan McEachren and to work as a student assistant in the then Deasy Cartographics lab under David DiBiase. Since leaving the hallowed halls of academia in the murky depths of history I have been employed at ESRI. I spend most of my work day testing software, in the course of which I do make maps from time to time trying to push the limits of ArcMap and working out ways to make more attractive and informative maps.

I won't ramble on and I'm not sure how much I'll be able to contribute here, not being a working cartographer in the sense of producing maps for clients, but I will try to keep up and chime in when I have something to contribute. Anything I do contribute will be my own words and opinions and not official pronouncements of ESRI.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

As for my background, I earned my BA in Geography at SDSU (San Diego State University), where I studied cartography and GIS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dave, welcome to the board. Whenabouts were you at SDSU? I, too, got my BA in Geography from SDSU, and graduated in 1998.

Again, welcome. I'm sure you'll have plenty to contribute.

David
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

Anything I do contribute will be my own words and opinions

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Dave - I'd expect nothing less from ya! Welcome aboard. It'll be nice to stay connected in between annual meetings.

m.
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

Dave, welcome to the board.  Whenabouts were you at SDSU?  I, too, got my BA in Geography from SDSU, and graduated in 1998.

David

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the welcome, guys. :)

I graduated from SDSU in 1995, so we may have overlapped slightly.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

Dave, welcome to the board.  Whenabouts were you at SDSU?  I, too, got my BA in Geography from SDSU, and graduated in 1998.

David

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the welcome, guys. :)

I graduated from SDSU in 1995, so we may have overlapped slightly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alas, I think we just missed one another. I didn't start at SDSU until Fall 1995, and didn't enter the Geography program until Fall 1996. I was a business major my first semester there!
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->