• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Has anyone outside the US ever benefit of the IMTA offer to receive ArcEditor in exchange of a "donation" of 1,500$ to the association?

My employer paid our membership and wanted to "buy" an ArcEditor license, then someone from ESRI (US) told us that they would transfert our licence to ESRI Canada but now, ESRI Canada doesn't recognize the offer (they say it's the first time they receive such request). They're engaging lawyers negotiations because ESRI Canada is saying that they have to pay royalties to ESRI (US) for each license they sell and if we received one for a price as low as 1,500$, directly from the United States, it will be a violation of their contracts between them.

What I don't understand is if ESRI US is offering this, and every regional bureau must have similar agreement (i.e. the royalties), how can they offer it to everybody, from the International Map Trade Association, if everytime that's a violation of the contract between them and the regional bureaus?

Thanks!

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

You should contact a representative at the IMTA & get them to help you to resolve the conflict with ESRI Canada.

http://www.maptrade.org/contact/

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

You should contact a representative at the IMTA & get them to help you to resolve the conflict with ESRI Canada.

http://www.maptrade.org/contact/

We have... The person who answered us didn't really know how it worked so she put us in contact with someone from ESRI who told us "No problem" and you know the rest.

Thanks!

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

Finally, ESRI Canada agreed to honor the deal! Still a strange situation, but... it worked so... :)

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

This is good news. But.....is it really worth the $1500? I got the basic Arc through IMTA, and I haven't yet seen much advantage (beyond opening Arc proprietary file formats) over Global Mapper or Manifold..... :huh:

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Finally, ESRI Canada agreed to honor the deal! Still a strange situation, but... it worked so... :)

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

This is good news. But.....is it really worth the $1500? I got the basic Arc through IMTA, and I haven't yet seen much advantage (beyond opening Arc proprietary file formats) over Global Mapper or Manifold..... :huh:

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

We're a team of 5 and only the Project manager has an ArcInfo license and it was ok until now... We'll need to use Representation for a project and it's read only in ArcView. Before I talked about the IMTA to my bosses, they where prepared to paid 10-12K for a regular ArcEditor license so they are quite please... ;)

Just to know, you didn't have any problem with ESRI Canada? Maybe it's only the first time at the bureau of Montreal...

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

I never had any problemo with ESRI Canada, but then I was only asking for the basic version.
FWIW -- I had a brief honeymoon with the data that was bundled with Arc, until I started finding missing freeways etc. :(

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

We're a team of 5 and only the Project manager has an ArcInfo license and it was ok until now... We'll need to use Representation for a project and it's read only in ArcView. Before I talked about the IMTA to my bosses, they where prepared to paid 10-12K for a regular ArcEditor license so they are quite please... ;)

Just to know, you didn't have any problem with ESRI Canada? Maybe it's only the first time at the bureau of Montreal...

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Good news I'm glad this didn't get into the usual sovereignty debate.

This is good news. But.....is it really worth the $1500? I got the basic Arc through IMTA, and I haven't yet seen much advantage...

The advantage is that you would have used the GIS industry standard software therefore allowing you to drastically improve your chances of getting hired by a GIS company if the need arises.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

[quote name='Charles Syrett' date='Jul 28 2009, 02:44 PM' post='25821']
I never had any problemo with ESRI Canada, but then I was only asking for the basic version.
FWIW -- I had a brief honeymoon with the data that was bundled with Arc, until I started finding missing freeways etc. :(

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

I didn't want to re-start the "old" ArcGIS-Manifold-MapInfo-QGis-... debate. ;)

We are already ArcGIS users (I've worked with since 2003) and we just needed another license level because what we wanted to do couldn't be done with a basic ArcView license...

We have ArcGIS, MapInfo, Global Mapper, ... and are quite happy with it. I'd love to have Manifolf and FME too, but since change is hard to accept in most of the entreprises (at least in those I've worked), I wouldn't dare to expect for that... I was hired because I had a background with ArcGIS and Illustrator and they were working mostly with MapInfo and Freehand (nothing against those), but it's still hard for me to work with Arc and Illy because the others only have limited knowledge of them... We're supposed to work more and more with them, but that means that the others will have to learn them and that don't pass quite well...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->