8 replies to this topic

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • United States

I made an 18x24 poster as a favor to a friend, so I had a bit of freedom to play with this one. Its for a hike that he is leading on the Columbia River. Let me know what you think!

Attached File  devils_hike_sm.png   797.28KB   504 downloads

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hate to say it, but the relief is seriously bothering me, I see it "the other way around", with Devils Rest at the bottom of a gorge... :blink:
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Overall it looks good. Yes, relief is botched - rivers on ridges etc.
A few trail questions - Is there parking at trail heads? - Is the trail on public land? Add name and maybe boundary.
I presume you will throw in a simple legend for trail markers/icons.
What are the cross-hatches in bottom-right? They really don't bear on the trail area, so I would just remove the effect.

Clean design. Thanks for sharing!

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Inversion, and for some reason I feel as this map is also at an oblique angle? This map is just messing with my mind for some reason.

I'm not sure that a legend is necessary, the hiker symbols are trail heads, the blue dots are waterfalls, yellow squares are your distance measuring points, and triangles are peaks. Only thing that I am confused with are the dashed red lines, maybe you should label them to clear it up. Are the contours in meters or feet? I don't think every isohypse line needs to be label.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

A good start in terms of overall content and colors.

But, yeah, strong inversion effect going on here.
The diagonal hatching near the bottom is a bit distracting and splotchy.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

Ditto for me on the relief effect. I would suggest something like a sun angle from the west (or even very slightly to the north of west), coupled with an easily-recognizable hypsometric colour ramp to aid in intuitive relief reading. You may have several more hours of fun ahead of you! ;)

Nobody has mentioned the font yet. What is it -- some sort of Clarendon? Typewriter-like fonts such as this (and Stymie and Cairo, which seems to have all but disappeared now) were popular on maps in the 50s and early 60s, and they were a good contrast to things like Times and News Gothic. I'm not so sure about using this as the main font on the map though -- especially nowadays, when (to many) it may be mistaken for Courier! :rolleyes: Maybe you could play with the fonts.....have a style for the physical features, another for trail annotations, etc. FWIW, traditionally Clarendon was used for political names (counties, towns, etc.).

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

I made an 18x24 poster as a favor to a friend, so I had a bit of freedom to play with this one. Its for a hike that he is leading on the Columbia River. Let me know what you think!

Attached File  devils_hike_sm.png   797.28KB   504 downloads

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • United States

Thanks for all of the great feedback!

I guess I fell victim to the Curse of Knowledge when it comes to the relief inversion. I had to try really hard to see it the wrong way. D'oh! :D I went with a NE lightsource because the main feature of the landscape is a NW facing bowl, and my initial "standard" hillshades completely obliterated that feature. But then I added some slope shading as well, which muddled the whole thing anyway. I'll go back and work it again!

The poster will be used as advertising for a one-time guided tour. The dashed lines are trail spurs that will not be taken during this particular event. And the hatching: an experiment in grunge-styled play on the more traditional "cloud masking no-data areas". The experiment needs work.

edit: Charles, almost missed your comment while replying. The font is American Typewriter. Thanks for the suggestions.

Adam Wilbert

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

It is going to be tough to apply proper shading since the slope faces the NW. Perhaps this is asking for MDOW shading - or at least SW illumination.

I like the torn paper effect on the bottom edge, however having the both the water-ripple and the paper-hatching occurring at the same angles is a distraction to me. Maybe add Benson State Park label, Multnomah Creek label, and Wiesendanger Falls.

Here's lots of info from a local trails group.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • United States

Again, thanks for all of the valuable feedback on this!

Here's the final layout from the Devil's Rest project. It's more of an event poster than a trail map.

I ended up redoing the shaded relief from a standard NW light source with a touch of slope-shading. The relief still makes me go cross-eyed if I start staring at it too long. If I think "this is a top down perspective" (which it is) it looks fine to me, but if I think "this is an oblique aerial perspective," all sorts of wackyness ensues in my head. My only defense is that it closely resembles the shading on Google Maps' terrain of the same area, which also is subject to the same inversion effect. "If its good enough for Google..." is a pretty lame defense though! :) If I were to spend more time on it, I would have added some hypsometric tinting.

a detail of the map and a full size (24x36) PDF can be found on my website: http://www.cartogaia.com/

Attached File  devils_600x900.jpg   130.47KB   109 downloads

Adam Wilbert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->