• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

Hello cartotalkers,

It's been quite some time since my last post here, so I thought I should add the final version of the Skeena Watershed map that I just completed. Some of you may remember my former draft maps, so hopefully you'll enjoy seeing it's latest incarnation. This is the base map that an illustrator and non-profit will add photos, illustrations and stories on top of. It's being created for Skeena Watershed residents, schools and enthusiasts as an educational and fun exploration of the unique history and biology of the region.

I'm looking forward to hearing comments and (kind) critique of this work.

p.s. this map was created as an in kind donation, so there was no budget which necessitated all data shown being free. Thus, I had to edit the data where necessary to give it more cartographic appeal. I used ArcGIS, Illustrator and Photoshop to create this piece.

I hope all are well and happy.

Attached Files

Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Looks great Analisa!

One thing I immediately noticed though is that the darker roads are underneath the lighter ones. This sometimes gives the impression they're interrupted. See for example Kitwanga and Moricetown.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello Analisa,

Beautiful map, the colors work well together. I was wondering why there isn't a hillshade for the area outside of the watershed. Kinda gives the impression that this watershed is a plateau rising out of a plain.

Looks good though,
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • United States

Nice! I like the hypso colors in the watershed area. They seem well-suited to that part of the world.

Minor criticism - for a watershed map the roads seem more prominant than the rivers...
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

Thanks for the feedback. I completely agree about the roads. I was asked to make them more prominent and the rivers a little lighter, but it's been bugging me as well. As for the background looking like it does not have hillshade, I did that so it would serve as a good backdrop for all the imagery and illustrations that are going to surround the finished product.

Thanks again for the feedback, always appreciated.
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->