- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Have a look at Screepainter, a new Open Source software project from Bernhard Jenny of the Swiss ETH in Zurich, that generates scree patterns for topographic maps. It fills polygons with scree stones for Swiss-style maps of mountainous areas (republished from Kelso's Corner).

This looks to fill a vacuous hole that's been missing from digital map creation and I look forward to running it through my workflow.

Attached File  screepainter.jpg   182.03KB   95 downloads

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Have a look at Screepainter, a new Open Source software project from Bernhard Jenny of the Swiss ETH in Zurich, that generates scree patterns for topographic maps. It fills polygons with scree stones for Swiss-style maps of mountainous areas (republished from Kelso's Corner).

This looks to fill a vacuous hole that been missing from digital map creation and I look forward to running it through my workflow.

:o

Whoa!

I gotta try this!!
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Spain

Thanks, Matthew. I came across Screepainter a few weeks ago and I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it looks like it's the ideal tool for its purpose.

One of the Illustrator plug-ins made by the same Institute of Cartography, called Irregular Pattern, fills polygons with a regular or randomized pattern of up to six symbols or shapes. It can be used within Illy to generate a pattern of scree, tree symbols in a park, or crosses in a cemetery. There's more information in this thread: http://www.cartotalk...&...ost&p=25484.
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

If anyone has used this, please post an example of it's product!
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Ok I've got a project that might benefit from this so gave it a run. PDF attached. I am pretty impressed with what it puts out. Much better than the regular patterns we have been using since the digital age and much less tedious than manually placing dots.

Have a few other idea how this could be used to give some variation to bump mapping on other maps as well—bigger canopies in the valley's etc. Great tool to be put out there.

Anyway my first quick play is here
http://www.unitseven...creepainter.pdf
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

the 'stones' look too spaced out, it doesn't really have the feel of a swiss shaded map.

i think if the pattern was tightened up a bit and the contours weren't so colorful, the shading could actually look somewhat authentic!

Posted Image
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Hi Greg,

Agreed but I am replicating a New Zealand 1:50k Topo which over the last 5 or so years have used a regular scree pattern. The stones actually need to be a bit larger than the sample provided but it was a first test of the program. I'll post the final map up when complete—the index contours are going to be broken in places to create a maze through the landscape.

Cheers,
Sam
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->