6 replies to this topic

smellykev

smellykev

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Australia

Hello, Maybe this information has already been posted before or is already common knowledge to all but me....

but i have just discovered google books.... (just type in google books in the google search function)..

Gives you free access to a a wide range of books.... (ie..a search for carto related books generated several pages... all of them available to read online...)..

it got me pretty excited.... and thats a hard thing to do these days!!!

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Nothing to get excited about because it gives you only a limited number of pages to read like any other business. So unless you want to go black market & risk breaking the law you still have to buy the books.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

smellykev

smellykev

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Australia

Nothing to get excited about because it gives you only a limited number of pages to read like any other business. So unless you want to go black market & risk breaking the law you still have to buy the books.

Really??!?!? I was so busy with my usual excited-naked-cartwheels-around-the office response to anything that captures my interest and snaps me out of my work-related doldrums that I didn't actually get as far as checking to see if the books were available in their full entirety.......

Well thats a bummer! Thanks for spoiling my jubilation mid-cartwheel Hasdrubal. I'll put my clothes back on now and return to my desk- where I'll spend the rest of the afternoon sulkily muttering horrible things about google-folk and their crushing of dreams and expectations......

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

Well thats a bummer! Thanks for spoiling my jubilation mid-cartwheel Hasdrubal. I'll put my clothes back on now and return to my desk- where I'll spend the rest of the afternoon sulkily muttering horrible things about google-folk and their crushing of dreams and expectations......

I don't know how Google Books works for users in Oz, but for users here in England to get the full-text of many of the books it is necessary to use an American web-proxy. This won't work for books that are still in copyright in the 'States of course.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Not always true. My textbooks from last semester were almost entirely online:

Designing geodatabases
Getting to Know ArcGIS Desktop
Getting to Know ArcObjects

You can't find all the books, but some in the GIS field at least are there.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Not always true. My textbooks from last semester were almost entirely online:

Designing geodatabases
Getting to Know ArcGIS Desktop
Getting to Know ArcObjects

You can't find all the books, but some in the GIS field at least are there.

There are pages that have been omitted from the previews. For example if you look at designing a database as the example you only get the first 73 pages.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

There are pages that have been omitted from the previews. For example if you look at designing a database as the example you only get the first 73 pages.

It not a war to see who's right and who's wrong! I was just pointing out that we can find useful parts of interesting books and also that smellykev was right to mention it to the forum because not everybody could have known about Google Books. And you don't have to go black market and break the law to read it if it's there. You're not downloading it from some P2P site.

Besides, it can depends of your location (I guess, as Nick mentioned ), but I have at least 75% of the book Designing Databases available... and I can read the page 350, which is more than the 73rd page. That's still strange because in Quebec and in Nova Scotia we both have Canadian web-proxies...

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->