- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

bevMacd

bevMacd

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

I'm making a small temperature map of Canada to add to a large project, and I'm unsure how to symbolize the isolines. 1) Do you label them the same way as contour lines? and 2) how far should lines be extended beyond the shoreline.
Also, should the c0lours extend over the Great Lakes, or cut off at the shoreline?

Thanks!
Beverley

Attached Files

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

I would go with a legend & only show the polygons, & cut off the temperature reading at the shorelines. BTW when you display the legend do it in the fashion of showing volume sort like depth of the ocean & elevation. And where you are showing temperature use opposite colours, blue for below zero & the opposite colour showing above zero.
"Abbas of novus versus"

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • United States

Since there aren't too many places that would need to be labeled I would label it on the map, with contour-like labels. I prefer to avoid using legends if the information can be placed directly on the map. Allows the reader to see the information in the context of the map directly, without having to go back and forth between the map and a legend. :)

If the temperature applies to the water, too, then I think it's okay to continue the line into/across the water. If it's land temperature only I would cut it off at the land.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->