• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

froggie

froggie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Also my first post on this forum... :)

It's a map I created to document my fantasy transit system for the Twin Cities (Mpls/St. Paul) metro area. Everything was done in ArcMap.

Here's the map (about 2.5mb)

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Hi from another Minneapolitan (I assume you're from Minneapolis: that's no St Paulite fantasy!)

A couple notes:
1. you run into a common problem: solid lines meaning entirely different things. Think about eliminating boundary lines in favor of subtle area color changes for cities. Dashed lines can work too, but may distract.

2. reconsider not including hydro. The Mississippi, Minnesota and St Croix Rivers and the lakes are major factors in route-planning in the cities.

3. The delicate scale of the street lines and big fat transit lines don't work for me. Consider similarly delicate lines for both, maybe with a glow or highlight to pull out the transit?

4. reconsider that jog west onto Van Buren St for the Central Ave light rail. I live a little close to that for comfort...

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Spain

Nice map, froggie! I like how there would be a light rail station just down the street here in Apple Valley! If only something like this could become reality...

I agree wholeheartedly with Nate on the line styles and the need to show lakes and rivers.
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

froggie

froggie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

After a couple months of dabbling, I've updated the map. Took Nate's suggestion to go with subtle color differences for municipalities, and I also cleared up some of the clutter by going only with major streets/roads (in effect, county routes or state aid streets). Having fewer streets rendered cut a full megabite off the PDF size. (2.5MB to 1.5MB)

Also took the "hydro suggestion" and added rivers and lakes larger than 50 acres.

Lastly, sorry Nate, but leaving the Northtown line along "Van Buren" (which I thought was just a superwide alleyway)...it's the only way I could avoid major impacts to the Central/Lowry intersection... :)

Here's the map.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Well, we seem to be missing a couple of notable rivers!

The suburb ground colors could still be duskier and grayer. They don't need very much hue variation from each other. It's much more important for the color value or "weight" to be similar for all of them. If you're going to bother to differentiate suburbs, you also need to label them.

The water blue is way too prominent. You can also gray this back quite a bit. For background information, I commonly use colors where the CMYK values total less than 30. A C12 M4 Y0 K0 water, for instance (sorry, I don't think in RGB). At least on screen, the red is also a bit aggressive. Adding some blue or black (my favorite is C0 M100 Y100 K20) will calm that down a bit.

I think you might be happier using purple for commuter rail and green for streetcars. If you use donuts instead of filled circles for the stations, they can be smaller.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->