2 replies to this topic

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • United States

I've just recently started digging into building websites with Drupal and came across this site built by Delvelopment Seed that pulls real time data on bike thefts in Washington DC, (and twitter and craigslist, etc). I love the presentation. Digging deeper, it's built using Drupal and the Mapnik toolkit. I'm just scratching the surface on these technologies and was wondering if anyone out there in CartoTalk-land has experience using Drupal+Mapnik?

Attached File  3024583369_79616a7083.jpg   66.63KB   71 downloads
Real Time DC Bike Theft Map

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I've just recently started digging into building websites with Drupal and came across this site built by Delvelopment Seed that pulls real time data on bike thefts in Washington DC, (and twitter and craigslist, etc). I love the presentation. Digging deeper, it's built using Drupal and the Mapnik toolkit. I'm just scratching the surface on these technologies and was wondering if anyone out there in CartoTalk-land has experience using Drupal+Mapnik?

Nice. I link the concept of streaming geo location via Twitter to Drupal / Mapnik and the web map. So many excellent and creative options, but I worry about quality content from Twitter.

Is Drupal easy to learn/use (I assume you have some prog experience)?

Chris

Crischan

Crischan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Spatial Information Design
  • Germany

Nice. I link the concept of streaming geo location via Twitter to Drupal / Mapnik and the web map. So many excellent and creative options, but I worry about quality content from Twitter.

Is Drupal easy to learn/use (I assume you have some prog experience)?

Chris

That's a masterpiece of Drupaling and a nice neo-geo mash-up.

Drupal is not the easiest to learn, but it gives you one of the most powerful, flexible and extensible open source CMS solutions. With Drupal 7 later this year there should be an major step in user interface usability.

I am the maintainer of the (as of now) dead OpenLayers module but from August on I expect to have time to implement a web mapping toolkit using Drupal / jQuery / jQuery UI / OpenLayers targeting Drupal 7. Kinda like GeoExt, but already coupled to an CMS - Drupal!
Just today I finished the first basic widget, which offers a nice interface to an WMS GetCapabilites XML document.
Crischan Wygoda
http://wygoda.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->