7 replies to this topic

tmacwhite

tmacwhite

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

Hi, this is my first map posting.

Over the past two months I have been working on a transit-style map to represent various physical, cultural & regional attributes of the US (e.g. the corn belt, tornado alley, route 66), and am now ready to fine-tune it for completion.

I realize that the number of routes (32) makes for complicated hue differentiation, but I expected this from the start. I am most concerned with placement/layout of the route data, headers, etc.

This is purely a personal exercise. I love transit maps, and wanted to give it a go. I would appreciate your comments.

Attached Files

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

This is fascinating! I had fun reading your map. I think the design/production is fairly well done too- clean and with the classic transit map feel.
I love seeing maps ppl make for fun - they tell a lot about the cartographer. I especially like the Great Lakes :)

What was your reference for the routes? Also, maybe a different color for the title arrow - another color from the palette - I see your use of yellow is to grab attention to the top, and I imagine you have likely experimented with other colors.

Great job!

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Spain

I really like your map, tmacwhite. The concept is very interesting, and the map itself is clear and polished. I always like the use of colors (though there are so many in this one it gets a little confusing) and the trademark 45° and 90° angles in this kind of map.

I've never made a transit map like this before, and it's sparked my curiosity. What are the main steps in your workflow? What software do you use?
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

danielle cull

danielle cull

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

Great map tmacwhite! I did my thesis on using 'transit' style maps to display non geographic data... this is a great example of blending geographic data and other data into a clean visual medium.

Well done!

tmacwhite

tmacwhite

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

Sorry I haven't posted a reply: I've been doing field work for the past several weeks w/ no web access :(

Design and workflow was pretty straightforward: I wrote up a list of lines/cities to map, overlaid a grid on a distorted Mercator projection (I had to lop off about 20% from the west, 10% from Florida), laid out each transit line in direct connect-the-dots fashion, then re-laid each one using 45/90 angles. This was all done using Illustrator/CS4.

I took a geography course this past fall wherein we discussed a few of these “belts” and so consulted with my professor to ensure that every city/location I used as a “station” was indeed representative of the belt. Mark Ovenden’s book ‘Transit Maps of the World’ was also an excellent resource, so many thanks to him.

The title arrow was more of an afterthought – I still haven’t settled on the proper title. I even toyed with making an “official” metro logo, but that’s more difficult than I expected!

Carlos Silva

Carlos Silva

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Canada

Great map. Just got back from London UK so it's always cool to see the adaptation of the Metro Map to new places.
You should make a logo that says "OVERGROUND" (vs UNDERGROUND) and a green circle instead of the traditional red one. ;)

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Hi, this is my first map posting.

Over the past two months I have been working on a transit-style map to represent various physical, cultural & regional attributes of the US (e.g. the corn belt, tornado alley, route 66), and am now ready to fine-tune it for completion.

I realize that the number of routes (32) makes for complicated hue differentiation, but I expected this from the start. I am most concerned with placement/layout of the route data, headers, etc.

This is purely a personal exercise. I love transit maps, and wanted to give it a go. I would appreciate your comments.

Very interesting map. Never seen anything like it. My only gripe is that you left out the Central Valley in California. As that is a major, major transit route in California I would expect to see that instead of the Pacific Crest route that you chose. Just a thought. Otherwise, very cool map!
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

tmacwhite

tmacwhite

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

Esther,

I understand your gripe, but it also applies to many, many other "routes" across the country. To wit, the National highway, the Trail of Tears, and the Chitlin' Circuit a few of many others I mapped but excluded.

FYI - and this helps explain my selection process - I'm from the Southland, so the Central Valley is my equivalent of flyover country ;)

Travis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->