• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

EcoGraphic

EcoGraphic

Master Contributor

• Links Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:landscape architecture,cartography,information architecture,wayfinding,landscape archaeology,cultural landscapes,sustainable design,visual journalism,travel writing,photography,illustration,languages
  • Canada

So I picked up this handbook on Celestial Navigation in a yachting store on Granville Island in Vancouver.

Celestial Navigation for Yachtsmen

Has anyone ever tried this?

I have always wanted to know how this works, especially after hearing about the guy who went to Micronesia to hang out with The Last Navigator

(Not just because I watched Master and Commander) :-)

If anyone has tried navigating this way is it difficult to learn?

Gillian
Gillian Auld
EcoGraphic Design
www.EcoGraphic.ca

Design is the intermediary between information and understanding
Richard Grefe

woneil

woneil

Will O'Neil

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • United States

Forty-five years ago I spent two years as navigator of the ammunition ship (!) USS Vesuvius (AE 15) of the U.S. Navy, crossing the Pacific three times. We navigated very much as Captain Cook had in the same waters, two centuries before, and never failed to find our way. It was not very difficult then, and it is a good deal easier today. I'd encourage you to try it.

Will O'Neil

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

Gillan,

check out this site:

http://www.pvs-hawaii.com/

They have been sailing the Hokulea all over the pacific out of Hawaii using this navigation for a couple of decades.

Some of the physical cartography (as opposed to performance or oral cart) from the pacific island communities are star maps created with shells and sticks that map navigation routes or star relations.

I haven't learned much of it but have a couple of friends that can sail this way. It most definitely works quite well if one is well versed, but I'm partial to GPS these days (until the batteries die). At least a little knowledge of this type of nav on the water is probably a good thing to know.

rob

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Volume two, book 3 of The History of Cartography focuses on traditional cartography and has an extensive section on Pacific societies navigation methods. It is by far my favourite book in the series.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->