Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Looking for some feedback on the following two maps. This is the first draft, and they are intended for publication in a book on the history of slavery. I have not yet been provided with titles by the author. The author also has yet to go through a round of removing labels for the various ethnic groups as I feel there are too many. I have also not yet decided how to explain in a legend the hieracrchy in the labels. Because the various regions they allude to are very uncertain we chose to leave lines off the map.

The maps are intended for a college level textbook. Background is Natural Earth.
Hydrology is very important hence there is alot of named rivers.

Attached File  Map1_copy.pdf   182.35KB   228 downloads
Attached File  map2.pdf   132.98KB   152 downloads

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Overall the maps are aesthetically pleasing. Map 1 is definitely having some hierarchy problems, though.

What jumps out at me first are the village names. The black ethnic group labels are not visually distict from the villages, even with the all caps, in fact it took me a second look to even notice them. Similarly, the grey ethnic group labels blended into the background.

What about using some more color? I tend to like a saturated maroon for important labels on this type of background as it read as red (and therefore important) without being obnoxious. You could then use size and weight to create the ethnic hierarchy. A different typeface could work as well.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Germany

Dear Martin,

Very pleasing to look at!
I second the statement on hierarchy. The village names really jump out, maybe you could put some white into the colour and use a broader font, the letters are very narrowly spaced (maybe then you have to re-arrange the capitalized font as well->increase letter spacing. A question: (I know it´s bad form for a non-english speaker...) Is "1800th" correct? shouldn´t it be "1800´s", or 18th century ?
You could also move "Abam" a little more south.
You have kewl looking coordinate lines on the overview map, put them in the detailed one as well, I like em so much :P .

Hope this helps,

Andreas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->