snag46ed

snag46ed

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Hi all,

So I have a problem, my boss wants me to make a specific type of chart in GIS. She saw it during a presentation and her boss is bent on making it. So basically, it means the GIS tech guy (i.e. me) is stuck with the duty. Yeah! Anyway, the best way to describe the chart would be multiple rings that represent each day of the week. Then, radial lines will be drawn that represent the hours of the day. Different gradients of a color will represent "assists" that our company had on specific days between specific hours (so 1 color will be for 1-3 assists, another shade of the color for 4-6 assists, etc).

Does ANYONE know what type of chart this is called? Or a tutorial on how to make one. I've scoured the internet for hours and my eyeballs are about to bleed.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about, again, these researchers made this chart in ArcGIS.

Attached Files

Giasen

Giasen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

Might be time to ask for a raise...
GPS

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I think that the CrimeAnalyst extension as something similar...

http://www.esricanad...oducts/7085.asp (the header image has one of those... and check page 3 here)

I can't find it on ESRI (US) site though... <_<

Maybe you'll have more luck on ArcScript?

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

I remember creating code for this in AutoCAD many years ago, and I don't remember where its gotten to. The idea was "borrowed" from this article. They call it a clock diagram, but it seems to fall under several names - ring chart, segmented pie chart, but if you search for rose diagram then you will find numerous examples. I found these resources when going through the ESRI forums:

Potential VBA code to create it
Avenue arcscript or a vb script

I haven't tested either of those. Unless you are willing to get the crime analyst extension (don't know anything about that) it will need to be a custom job. Might be difficult depending on your VBA experience.

There seemed to be a tool that could at some point generate rose diagrams. Search for GeoTools in this article. Might be able to contact the company and see if they still have a version floating around.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
David

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello,

I've had to make several maps like that back in college and they were called "rose diagrams". However I was dealing with strikes and slips of fault lines and the circle was was divided into 360 degrees. However you can easily divide the circle into 24/12 hours for your method.

I would try a google search with that word. Here's one of the first sites that I came across.

http://www.rockware....mp;category=510

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

snag46ed

snag46ed

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Might be time to ask for a raise...

Haha, no kidding!

snag46ed

snag46ed

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Thanks dsl and Francois! I will take a look at the crime analysis extension and the articles you gave me. I have experience with VBA but it was mostly for Access stuff, never had to translate it to ArcMap. Unfortunatley, I've never used ArcScript, and I dont believe we have a copy or license for one here.

I'll take a dive into the literature you sent me and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the help. I may have more questions if you please B) a little later... :)

snag46ed

snag46ed

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Hello,

I've had to make several maps like that back in college and they were called "rose diagrams". However I was dealing with strikes and slips of fault lines and the circle was was divided into 360 degrees. However you can easily divide the circle into 24/12 hours for your method.

I would try a google search with that word. Here's one of the first sites that I came across.

http://www.rockware....mp;category=510

kru

Thanks kru, I've looked into rose diagrams and radar diagrams, but it is still not what she was looking for, or maybe I just couldn't manipulate it to be what she was looking for. I will take a look into it further. Do you know if rose diagrams can be made in excel, arcGIS, or another application? (i.e. do I have to download some extension or new software to generate the chart? I only noticed Radar diagrams in excel, and no rose diagrams in ArcView)
:)

snag46ed

snag46ed

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Alright, so I figured it out. I looked into the CrimeAnalyst software, but it turns out that you have to purchase that extension and there is no trial. BUT you can make the same types of diagrams (called Data Clocks) with the Tracking Analyst, which has a 60 day trial period. We are probably going to end up picking this extension up.

CHEERS Guys! I wouldn't have figured this out without your help. It led me down the road to the Tracking extension.

Sean

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

Alright, so I figured it out. I looked into the CrimeAnalyst software, but it turns out that you have to purchase that extension and there is no trial. BUT you can make the same types of diagrams (called Data Clocks) with the Tracking Analyst, which has a 60 day trial period. We are probably going to end up picking this extension up.

CHEERS Guys! I wouldn't have figured this out without your help. It led me down the road to the Tracking extension.

Sean

I posted about this type of chart on here awhile back. Here's my original thread. Some interesting comments regarding the difference in size of the segments.

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Unfortunatley, I've never used ArcScript, and I dont believe we have a copy or license for one here.

No experience needed! It's a resource site where users can share code and scripts (vb, arcobject, ...). B) Very helpful. A lot of cool stuff but there's thousands of scripts and it may be hard to find what you're looking for sometim

http://arcscripts.esri.com/

I agree that with all the ArcSomething, it's hard sometimes to know what it's about (except that it's coming from ESRI)

snag46ed

snag46ed

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Unfortunatley, I've never used ArcScript, and I dont believe we have a copy or license for one here.

No experience needed! It's a resource site where users can share code and scripts (vb, arcobject, ...). B) Very helpful. A lot of cool stuff but there's thousands of scripts and it may be hard to find what you're looking for sometim

http://arcscripts.esri.com/

I agree that with all the ArcSomething, it's hard sometimes to know what it's about (except that it's coming from ESRI)

SWEET! Never knew about this site. This will definitely come in handy. Thanks a lot! :)

snag46ed

snag46ed

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Sean

I posted about this type of chart on here awhile back. Here's my original thread. Some interesting comments regarding the difference in size of the segments.

Thanks greg, I'll take a look. Interesting profile pic btw :o

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hmmm.....Don't see the spatial relationship.

isn't this something that could be drawn in Illustrator then color coded based on a summary table?
Would be quick to drawn it in and color code the boxes and make a legend, no?

snag46ed

snag46ed

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Hmmm.....Don't see the spatial relationship.

isn't this something that could be drawn in Illustrator then color coded based on a summary table?
Would be quick to drawn it in and color code the boxes and make a legend, no?

Yeah, the data clock in itself is not spatially relevant, but the tracking analyst software does other things spatially related.

I did try to draw it in visio, but found dividing the classes to be too much work, and it didn't work out. Dont know how to use illustrator, or even what Illustrator is for that reason. :P

But I'll look into it, thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->