- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

GISPROJESSE

GISPROJESSE

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

So here is the problem: We have a bunch of Field names in a shapefile and need to change them. The problem is that we need change the name to the same thing just in lower case. We have tried to change it in Access but it is not case sensitive.
We are using arc 9.3. Any suggestions would be helpfull.
Thanks all

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

One suggestion (among many I am sure) is to add duplicate fields to your shapefile in lower case, then use the field calculator to add the values from the old fields to the new ones. This could be intense if you have A LOT of fields, but would be pretty quick if you just have a couple dozen or so.

M.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

wolfegeo

wolfegeo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • United States

In ArcGIS open the table. Add a new field to hold the lower case info. Select the column you just created and open the field calculator. Select the radio button next to String. Under functions scroll down and click on LCase.

In the text box you will see LCase()
Click within the () to get your cursor there... then in the fields list double click on the field name that holds the info you want to change to all lower case. The field name is now within the ()

Hit OK and that should take care of it.

Take care,
Kathy

GISPROJESSE

GISPROJESSE

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

One suggestion (among many I am sure) is to add duplicate fields to your shapefile in lower case, then use the field calculator to add the values from the old fields to the new ones. This could be intense if you have A LOT of fields, but would be pretty quick if you just have a couple dozen or so.

M.

I appreciate your help, the problem is that I would have to go through the process twice because I want to keep the field name exact, just in lowercase and you cant have duplicate field names. Thank you though.

GISPROJESSE

GISPROJESSE

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

In ArcGIS open the table. Add a new field to hold the lower case info. Select the column you just created and open the field calculator. Select the radio button next to String. Under functions scroll down and click on LCase.

In the text box you will see LCase()
Click within the () to get your cursor there... then in the fields list double click on the field name that holds the info you want to change to all lower case. The field name is now within the ()

Hit OK and that should take care of it.

Take care,
Kathy

Hey thanks for the suggestion. That is a really cool trick, but what i am trying to do is to change the actual field name itself, not the data w/in the field although I will use that trick i am sure.
thanks again for trying.

jblairpdx

jblairpdx

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United States

Fields in all ESRI formats are basically immutable, so some sort of replication & destruction needs to occur, whether at the field table or whole-feature class level.

Your best bet would be to use the 'export' function in ArcCatalog (which really just calls up the 'Feature Class to Feature Class' tool). Right-click on the shapefile in AC, choose Export. When the dialogue comes up, double-click on the field in question's name (or right-click and choose Rename), change the casing, then complete the dialogue. You'll get a new shapefile, but you can just replace the old.

-Jacob Blair

wolfegeo

wolfegeo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • United States

Whoops, I didn't read the question correctly :huh: . I thought you wanted to change the values within the field, not the field name itself. :lol:

If you find away let us know.

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

I think that table restructure in Xtools pro might do the trick but am unsure. The other way - and this is tedious - is to add new fields named something else entirely, populate them with the field calculator with the same stuff as the matching field, then delete the original fields, then add the third set of fields with the correct names and populate those using the intermediary fields and the field calculator.

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

There seems a really simple way. You can open the dbf file with MS Excel. Now select and copy the first row to a MS Word file, just select all the text in MS Word and then Change Case to lower case. Copy it back and paste on the first row in Excel. Save the file as DBASE IV file. I tried it and it converted but when I opened it in ArcGIS9.2, it was all caps again, may be 9.3 retains case information. But this method should work......

Best of luck..

Anu
http://www.mapsandlocations.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->