10 replies to this topic

JRF

JRF

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • United States

Creative Force announces the addition of new digital maps of Toronto to their product line. The royalty-free maps are offered in several choices: a metro overview that contains major arterial roads, one that contains all streets for the downtown area with single-lined roads, or the deluxe version with all streets for the downtown area with double-lined streets.

Toronto is the most populous city in Canada. More people live in Toronto than in Canada's four Atlantic provinces combined. Its population is one of the most diverse in the world. Nearly all of the world's culture groups are represented in Toronto and more than 100 languages and dialects are spoken.

Creative Force Maps has been a leading provider of royalty-free digital maps for over 20 years. They bring the disciplines of GIS engineering, cartography and graphic design together to form a synergy few companies can emulate.

Their state-of-the-art website is very user friendly and simplifies shopping with these unique features:
• You can interactively zoom the digital maps to insure your getting the detail level you want.
• Maps are available in both Illustrator and PDF format.
• Search function to help you easily finds the map you need.
• All maps are available for immediate delivery via download.
• See a video that gives you a glimpse into the company.

If you cannot find the stock map you are looking for, their Custom Map experts can create a map to suit your exact needs. Call for a free quote: 800-822-6331 or visit their website and see why they really are a different kind of map company: www.creativeforce.com.

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

Great maps of Toronto, Jolan.
And a wonderful series of Canadian maps all together.
Were these produced using MAPublisher and MAPdataCanada?

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

JRF

JRF

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • United States

Dear Ted,

Thanks. Yes, they were produced with MAPublisher and MAPdataCanada. We have been able to really expand our Canadian customer base in the last few months.

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Canada

That's great.
Thank you for making such good map products with our software and data tools.
Regards
Ted

Dear Ted,

Thanks. Yes, they were produced with MAPublisher and MAPdataCanada. We have been able to really expand our Canadian customer base in the last few months.

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

www.avenza.com

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

I'd hate to spoil the mutual admiration going on here but having looked at the maps I find them to be out of date and missing a number of new streets (south of Front St. W., north of Lakeshore Blvd. W, east of Spadina Ave. and west of Bathurst St. for instance). This is the case with other maps as well . . . the Edmonton map, for instance, is missing a number of new expressways.

Having said this, the maps looks great (except for the lack of a proper projection) and clean . . . . you just need to make them up to date.

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Canada

No problem, Rudy, and you are not spoiling anything.
MAPdataCanada is a low priced royalty-free data set that is as up-to-date as it was at the time it was created.
No claims are made that it is 100% accurate as of today and indeed if users need the most current data they can certainly go to some of the high-end providers who update their datasets every quarter but charge accordingly and usually have onerous licensing requirements that many cartographers do not want to deal with.
Our market for MAPdataCanada is the general cartographer who needs a good and accurate base and a reasonable price and we encourage users to supplement it with ground-truthing and other resources to account for new developments.
In a city like Toronto where there is constant development, new roads going in and all kinds of other changes it is incumbent on the cartographer to do this.
Heck, even in my expensive new car with a full navigation system some of the new streets in the areas you mentioned are missing and I know that they have licensed a much more expensive dataset than we provide. So even in such a case the latest changes on the ground are not reflected in the maps.
I guess in some areas of the country and continent the data collection efforts cannot keep up with the development on the ground.

I'd hate to spoil the mutual admiration going on here but having looked at the maps I find them to be out of date and missing a number of new streets (south of Front St. W., north of Lakeshore Blvd. W, east of Spadina Ave. and west of Bathurst St. for instance). This is the case with other maps as well . . . the Edmonton map, for instance, is missing a number of new expressways.

Having said this, the maps looks great (except for the lack of a proper projection) and clean . . . . you just need to make them up to date.

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

www.avenza.com

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I agree. The style of the map is great, but as for the map of Quebec for instance, we never see it "here" unprojected (or it could be plate-carree projection). The standard and official projection is Lambert Conformal Conic.

Also, I know it's extremely difficult to validate, having done a lot of world maps, but you should have the name checked. Especially if they're not in English.

Trois-rivieres should be Trois-Rivières.
Sainte-agathe-des-monts => Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts; Saint-denis is Saint-Denis, ...
There's a dash between the St and Ste and the name (St-Donat which should be Saint-Donat to uniform).
The Island of Montreal is missing (there's a lot of highway converging on the Saint-Lawrence River).
Laval is just north of Montreal on the 15 (the highway between Montreal and Sainte-Agathe) on an island that's also missing.
There's green islands in the Reservoir Gouin.

And the choice of the name to show could be improved too... St-Jérôme is much more important than Sainte-Agathe and it's not there; Sainte-Agathe, Greefield Park, Granby, ..., are (or could be regional centers), but they're not as important as Montreal, which is the biggest city in Quebec, but they're label the same.
Saint-Jacques is a village and it's the first time I see it on a map other than a regional map.

Having said that, I know that it's almost impossible to do maps of foreign territories without making mistakes because we have to rely of data we can't check ourselves. I used at least 4 sources and compare one with each other before choosing which city to show, which river to label before another, ... for a thematic world atlas I did. I don't want to criticize and sound like that's a bad map. For everybody except Quebecois (and maybe for a lot of Quebecois too), it will be enough for what they need. I like your company and what you do. I just think that before selling a map, I'd have checked the content a little more (or validate the accuracy of my data).

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Heck, even in my expensive new car with a full navigation system some of the new streets in the areas you mentioned are missing and I know that they have licensed a much more expensive dataset than we provide. So even in such a case the latest changes on the ground are not reflected in the maps.

Data updates, particularly when dealing with street or road maps used for navigation, are important (and can be expensive and time consuming). Granted, any map out there, whether it be digital or paper, is going to be out of date almost from the moment it is published. What amazes me is that many people are willing to dispose of their paper street and road maps and buy a navigation device for $200, not realizing that, if it is not out of date when they purchased it, it will be out of date in the next year. Instead of spending $5 for a paper map every year they'll have to spend $200 (or whatever the update costs) on updating their PND.

That, I think, is changing as more people access handheld devices with Internet access. Other than the monthly connection/service charges, the maps you can access on the Internet are free.

Which, I think, only stresses the importance that, if you are hoping to sell road/street maps that they need to be as up to date as possible (as well as good looking and properly projected!).

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Canada

I've used both Creative Force maps (for US locations) and MAPdataCanada, and I regard both products as useful starting points, or compilation material, for map production. Depending on client budget, I will do whatever updating is needed from other sources. Often, I will place a disclaimer on the map to protect both myself and the client.

In other words, these aren't maps that are ready for publishing, from any professional point of view. But they're good starting points.

I think of MAPdataCanada as the Canadian equivalent of TIGER in the US. OK, maybe a little better, because the streets are "joined" by name. Good for quick mockups, project control, etc, but not to be thought of as something ready to publish without a disclaimer. Like TIGER, some of the streets are so grossly distorted that it would be impossible to fit other detail to them.

Yes, there's more up-to-date data out there, and it does cost a lot more -- but you still have to check every street. In some cases this may be worth it, but I've never gone that route. There always seems to be a better, faster, and more interesting way to get updated material. B)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

No problem, Rudy, and you are not spoiling anything.
MAPdataCanada is a low priced royalty-free data set that is as up-to-date as it was at the time it was created.
No claims are made that it is 100% accurate as of today and indeed if users need the most current data they can certainly go to some of the high-end providers who update their datasets every quarter but charge accordingly and usually have onerous licensing requirements that many cartographers do not want to deal with.
Our market for MAPdataCanada is the general cartographer who needs a good and accurate base and a reasonable price and we encourage users to supplement it with ground-truthing and other resources to account for new developments.
In a city like Toronto where there is constant development, new roads going in and all kinds of other changes it is incumbent on the cartographer to do this.
I guess in some areas of the country and continent the data collection efforts cannot keep up with the development on the ground.

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

In other words, these aren't maps that are ready for publishing, from any professional point of view. But they're good starting points.

Yes, there's more up-to-date data out there, and it does cost a lot more -- but you still have to check every street. In some cases this may be worth it, but I've never gone that route. There always seems to be a better, faster, and more interesting way to get updated material. B)

I agree with you. My point was that an unprojected map in Illustrator of pdf format isn't a really good starting point. Of course you'll have to check the content for any reference you use, but you don't always have the material to reproject it in something that you can publish. The Canada maps are projected. Also, I know that a city can grow and its extent change over the years, new roads can be build, but I would at least expect the cities to be at a correct location (Laval being about 30 miles off), and islands, like the island of Montréal, to actually be on the map. That's not just outdated material...

But that's still only one map... I can't be the judge for almost any other maps... and I still love what CF Maps do.

JRF

JRF

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • United States

I would like to clarify a few items. First, the topic was our new Toronto maps. These were newly created with MAPdata Canada. Many of the more general complaints were directed at other maps such as general provinces or Edmonton, which were not created with MAPdata Canada. In the past, it has been very difficult to obtain good royalty-free data from Canada. Avenza made a gigantic leap forward for cartographers by offering this product.

We sell thousands of different maps. Thank you for any comments and corrections we can use to help keep them as up to date as possible. Thanks also for recognizing that these are royalty-free maps that sell from $95-$250 and they may need customization for the specific use of the map.

As far as the projection goes, we can respond to custom requests to make it whatever project is suitable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->