• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

It's been a while since I last had a map up here...

This is something I whipped out in about 90 minutes. A network map of the RandstadRail light rail/tram system between Rotterdam and The Hague (in the not-too-distant future it'll actually be connected to the Rotterdam subway, making it a more interesting system to map). I'm considering using this on a street map I'm doing in that region, on which I have some space available (hence the format...). I deliberately chose to omit the legend (other than an explanation of the 3 lines that make up the system), as I kinda feel that this should be easy enough to understand.

JPG preview and a PDF version as well:
Attached File  Randstadrail.jpg   71.2KB   163 downloads
Attached File  Randstadrail.pdf   93.06KB   67 downloads

Would like to hear your comments.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

kay

kay

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Canada

Transit map is always hard to make... (I am not good at it...) I wish I could make a map like yours! It is very simple and nice!

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

I'd be curious to see how this relates to a to-scale map. Do you have a sketch of the lines on a basic map base?

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Its excellent - clear and concise. well done!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Netherlands

I'd be curious to see how this relates to a to-scale map. Do you have a sketch of the lines on a basic map base?

The Dutch Wikipedia page has a map which I've been using as reference.

It's a bit of an odd system where the left 2 lines are more or less an urban tram line, the central Den Haag - Rotterdam line is an old converted railroad (converted to light rail) and the right is an urban railroad in Zoetermeer. Given the space I had at my disposal, there is considerable distortion going on.
Red Geographics

Frank K.

Frank K.

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Netherlands

It's a nice-looking map. You may wish to reconsider omitting the legend, however. There are two kinds of railway stations on your map: those marked with a dash and those with a circle. The difference between the two is not clear. Also, the spacing between the stations on the map appears to be mostly constant and, therefore, not related to any real-world distance. If so, shouldn't that be consistent throughout the map? Personally, I like to see a relation between the map distance and the real-world distance. Considering the use of such maps (How do I get there? and Am I almost there yet?), this probably does not need to be a linear relationship. A distinction between 'near', 'intermediate', and 'far' may suffice.

Crischan

Crischan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Spatial Information Design
  • Germany

Nice and clear. just like i like it.
Two minor things though: I'll guess every dutchman knows the Nederlandse Spoorwegen logo to know that these are connecting stations, but for foreigners it might be helpful to identify that logo in the legend?
And then why is the NS logo aligned to the station name for every station except Rotterdam Hopflein? Just put it before the station name?

Cheers,
Crischan
Crischan Wygoda
http://wygoda.net

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Netherlands

Nice and clear. just like i like it.
Two minor things though: I'll guess every dutchman knows the Nederlandse Spoorwegen logo to know that these are connecting stations, but for foreigners it might be helpful to identify that logo in the legend?
And then why is the NS logo aligned to the station name for every station except Rotterdam Hopflein? Just put it before the station name?

That's because Rotterdam Hofplein itself does not actually have a connection to the 'real' railway. I.e. you cannot connect there (as opposed to for example Den Haag CS). However, it is close (walking distance) to 2 major train stations (Rotterdam CS and Rotterdam Blaak). That's what I tried to indicate in that manner. I'm not sure whether this is the best way though... perhaps the way it's done on the London Underground map (a little text blurb stating the distance to a mainline railway station) is better.

I see what you (and Frank) mean re. the legend. I'll give it another thought.

A relation between real-world and map distance is very hard to incorporate. The Den Haag - Rotterdam line is around 25 km long, with stops spaced apart (several kilometers) in the rural parts. On the other hand, the 2 lines in Den Haag itself have stops every few hundred meters.
Red Geographics

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Canada

The Dutch Wikipedia page has a map which I've been using as reference.

It's a bit of an odd system where the left 2 lines are more or less an urban tram line, the central Den Haag - Rotterdam line is an old converted railroad (converted to light rail) and the right is an urban railroad in Zoetermeer. Given the space I had at my disposal, there is considerable distortion going on.

The map looks great, Hans. I like what you've done to it - simple and clear. One minor point - when looking at the original posted on the Wikipedia page it appears that the #3 Den Haag - Loosduinen line loops around and ends at the point it meets at Centrum West. In other words, if you got on the #3 at Dorp going to Centrum West with the intention of heading further on, you'd have to change trains to another #3 - you can't stay on the same train without going back via Dorp, Delftswallen, etc. It appears on your map that you can - i.e. that the train doesn't stop and turn around at Centrum West.

Minor detail so I'm not sure if it's worth mucking around with.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Netherlands

The map looks great, Hans. I like what you've done to it - simple and clear. One minor point - when looking at the original posted on the Wikipedia page it appears that the #3 Den Haag - Loosduinen line loops around and ends at the point it meets at Centrum West. In other words, if you got on the #3 at Dorp going to Centrum West with the intention of heading further on, you'd have to change trains to another #3 - you can't stay on the same train without going back via Dorp, Delftswallen, etc. It appears on your map that you can - i.e. that the train doesn't stop and turn around at Centrum West.

Minor detail so I'm not sure if it's worth mucking around with.

Actually, I'm not sure what they do there. It's a loop and back when that bit was still operated by NS (national railway), trains would leave Den Haag, ride the loop either clockwise or counterclockwise and then return to Den Haag. They wouldn't stop and reverse. I think that's still the case.
Red Geographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->