• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello,

I was just wondering what are some of the methods that people use in ArcMap to remove these linear artifacts from a DEM so they don't show up in my Hillshade. The data are from USGS NED 10m.

I have ran several low pass filters, and this reduces the effect but does not get rid of the artifacts completely. Focal Statistics works well, but it really washes out/softens the Hillshade.

Any help on how to get rid of these or how to avoid the occurrence of them would be appreciated.

kru

Attached Files

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Mike Boruta

Mike Boruta

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Are you sure those artifacts are from the DEM? Have you projected the DEM prior to making the hillshade? I've seen the exact same thing when I've made a hillshade from a projected a DEM without changing the sampling technique to "bilinear." If this sounds possible, look here:

http://support.esri....l...how&d=29127

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hey Borga,

I'll bet you are right. I am 95% sure that it is projected, I'm pretty sure that I did that after I concatenated the tiles. When working with rasters should I always stay in GCS?

Thanks a lot,
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->