razornole

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Interests:Recreational Cartography
  • United States

Hello,

I was just wondering what are some of the methods that people use in ArcMap to remove these linear artifacts from a DEM so they don't show up in my Hillshade. The data are from USGS NED 10m.

I have ran several low pass filters, and this reduces the effect but does not get rid of the artifacts completely. Focal Statistics works well, but it really washes out/softens the Hillshade.

Any help on how to get rid of these or how to avoid the occurrence of them would be appreciated.

kru

Attached Thumbnails

• Linear_Artifacts.jpg

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Mike Boruta

Mike Boruta

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • United States

Are you sure those artifacts are from the DEM? Have you projected the DEM prior to making the hillshade? I've seen the exact same thing when I've made a hillshade from a projected a DEM without changing the sampling technique to "bilinear." If this sounds possible, look here:

http://support.esri....l...how&d=29127

razornole

razornole

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Interests:Recreational Cartography
  • United States

Hey Borga,

I'll bet you are right. I am 95% sure that it is projected, I'm pretty sure that I did that after I concatenated the tiles. When working with rasters should I always stay in GCS?

Thanks a lot,
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->