Selling Maps and GIS abroad

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Caio

Caio

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

I’ve been thinking about targeting underserved markets abroad, especially in developing countries. What would be the best way to go about approaching business or governments in those countries?

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

And you think they would off-shore/outsource their work to Canada... ?

I think your best bet would be to follow Canadian aid money, and see if there are any opportunities in e.g. training and support to developing countries.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Brandon Tourtelotte

Brandon Tourtelotte

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Cartography<br />International GIS Datasets<br />Jazz (and all other kinds of music)<br />Introspection<br />Networking<br />Engaging personalities<br />Challenging thinkers
  • United States

Or rather, what would you be looking to do/sell to them?
Let's start there.....
Brandon Tourtelotte
East View Cartographic, Inc.
Minneapolis, MN

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

To quote a saying, "Two dollars a pop."

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Caio

Caio

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

And you think they would off-shore/outsource their work to Canada... ?

I think your best bet would be to follow Canadian aid money, and see if there are any opportunities in e.g. training and support to developing countries.

Yeah I know a few colleagues who had the chance to implement a GIS or simply provide training abroad. It was usually through word of mouth, knowing someone that knew someone type of thing.
But follow the aid money could be an option. I was thinking of contacting non-for-profits that do most work abroad as a way to start but that could be good too. Thanks.

Caio

Caio

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Or rather, what would you be looking to do/sell to them?
Let's start there.....

I guess it could be anything from GIS or training or even cartographic products. It seems some countries simply don't have the amount of firms doing that type of work so they may have no choice but to look elsewhere, just like any other technology industry.
I was including poorer developing nations but my first thought was in the lines of the BRIC countries who are growing more than other places.

I'll do some more research into it.

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

With a price tag of just about $12 to $15 per hour, it is so very difficult to get jobs from US/Canadian clients, if you want to do jobs for us, the developing nations, what price would you quote?? B)

Anu
http://www.mapsandlocations.com

stevenbv

stevenbv

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi, does anyone make maps for private persons ?

souvik.gis

souvik.gis

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:GIS, Cartography,Music
  • India

Hi, does anyone make maps for private persons ?

Yes I make maps for private person and I am also finding this types (GIS and/or Cartography related) of job. Look for your reply. My mail Id is souvik.gis@gmail.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->