6 replies to this topic

Spug

Spug

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

ESRI buy into BCS publication

ESRI Press have purchased 840 copies of The British Cartographic Society’s (BCS) booklet on cartography for sale at their International User Conference, San Diego CA in July. ‘Cartography an introduction’ was published by BCS in support of its Better Mapping Campaign as a ready reference to help the many mapmakers who have no formal training in their task.

Prepared on behalf of the BCS by Giles Darkes, Cartographic Consultant, and Mary Spence MBE, one of the UK’s leading cartographic practitioners, the 64 pages of this little A6 booklet are crammed full of useful information to assist the mapmaking community in understanding the principles behind the creation of a good map. Its aim is to provide basic information on what works well in a map and to get the world thinking about maps and their messages.

Aside from European sales and the ESRI bulk purchase, copies have been despatched as far afield as Colombia, China, Singapore and New Zealand. From the worldwide approbation it would appear that this publication has hit the spot.

ISBN 978-0-904482-23-2
UK RRP £4.99 (plus £1 p&p UK, £1.50 p&p overseas)
Discounts available for 5+ copies. Please contact BCS for details.

For further information visit http://www.cartograp...p?contentID=753

Testimonials:

“Many thanks for the booklet on 'Cartography an introduction'. This is really very good – can I buy class sets?“
Dr David Fairbairn
Secretary-General & Treasurer, International Cartographic Association

“Wow! I was so impressed and would like to congratulate you on such a worthwhile and very useful publication. This is exactly what I have been searching for for such a long time. The pages that relate to the actual 'art' of cartography (symbols, colour, generalisation, text placement etc) are priceless. So many cartographers, GIS operators not to mention students will benefit from this wonderful book.”
Damien Demaj,
Chief Cartographic Consultant on ‘Earth’, the largest world atlas ever produced
Victoria, Australia

“Many, many thanks for sending your gorgeous little books through last week.”
Robin Woods, Director, Communicarta, UK

“I am very grateful to you! I received the booklet yesterday, and I am now reading - it´s very helpful and I am sure I will learn a lot from this publication.”
Maria Paulina Quiroga, Colombia

antoniocarlos

antoniocarlos

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Puerto Rico

Hi

I dont understand the order form. What number do I place as event/product. It says that I must input a event reference number. Any way to get it through Amazon US? Do I have to become a member of the BCS to buy it? Looks like a bargain.

AGT

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Congrats on the publication!

I am a little perplexed like Antonio regarding the order form, but I am very interested in purchasing this book. At $10 a pop (including shipping) it seems like a real bargain compared to other cartography books I have seen.

I actually just read the directions on this page which states using "BOOKLET-23-2" for the reference number.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

I got my hands on a copy for a minute or 2 (they wouldn't let me keep it! :lol: ). It looks like a great little book and well worth the low price.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • United States

I got my hands on a copy for a minute or 2 (they wouldn't let me keep it! :lol: ). It looks like a great little book and well worth the low price.

How unfair!! It's not like they didn't buy enough copies. Or did they buy all the copies to burn them and dilute the competition? :lol:

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

I just ordered it from the link on the post and got it today, a week later.
Only $12.00 Cdn shipping included. A great deal!
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • United States

Mine just arrived. A brilliant little book!

I can see why ESRI purchased 840 of them. I am going to order a bunch to give away so people have an idea what I do. It's compact, straight-forward, and well designed (as it should be coming from The British Cartographic Society. There's nothing really new and earth shattering, but the diminutive presentation is encompassing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->