• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

joninnh

joninnh

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

I love maps, geography and computers. I got my GIS Certificate and a GIS intern position. My problem is that there are few jobs that use GIS in my area and the part-time intern job is for a planning commission that will never have openings. I now need to expand my horizons. I started my whole career change so I can work with in an area that really interests me, I am not going to give up!. Does anyone have suggestions for other fields to look into that use maps and geography? Thanks for your help!

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

joninnh,

I moved your post to this section, you may want to add to it to tell us more about yourself, such as where you are writing from.

The great thing about this country is you can 1. Do something different if you dont like what you do now, and it sounds like you have made that choice already, AND
2. Go somewhere else to do what you want...I suggest you expand your job search to new job markets, I see many jobs listed everyday all over the country for GIS professionals. Our profession is in demand, you just have to be willing to go where the jobs are.
If for whatever reason that is not an option I also suggest you look towards other fields such as engineering, architecture, marketing, public health sciences, park/wildlife mgmt etc... geography is the most multidisciplinary science of all. try to capitalise on whatever other skills you may have from a previous job or field of study. Having said that I know it's not easy so Good Luck, unfortunately this board is probably not the best place to conduct your job search, we do post some job listings but not that many. Hopefully someone else will have better insight.

mg

EcoGraphic

EcoGraphic

Master Contributor

• Links Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:landscape architecture,cartography,information architecture,wayfinding,landscape archaeology,cultural landscapes,sustainable design,visual journalism,travel writing,photography,illustration,languages
  • Canada

I would check out other planning commissions if that area is of interest to you, and really play up your previous experience in a planning office. There are also private planning consultants which may be looking for a tech person to help in-house. Also consider taking a look at Landscape Architecture firms. They use a lot of maps, and may be happy to have someone who can do GIS for them. It is very important in design decision-making for large projects. Also very helpful when planning out things like trail designs for parks.

I always think if you have taken the time to research out what a firm does, and how you may be able to benefit them, you will have a better chance of getting hired.

Like Martin said, very important to take a holistic approach to your career and have a look at all of your interests. There are a lot of interesting jobs out there, but you must be willing to step out and find your niche. And don't stop learning!

Follow your bliss as they say.

Cheers,

Gillian
Gillian Auld
EcoGraphic Design
www.EcoGraphic.ca

Design is the intermediary between information and understanding
Richard Grefe

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

hear hear. Job searches are difficult, but those that hussle will reap the rewards. Not knowing where you are currently at makes it a little difficult to comment, but if GIS is your forte, places like San Diego or Denver/Boulder are kinda the centers of the GIS universe in the USA.

Martin's idea about looking at different industries is also a very solid point. More businesses now have a demand for GIS, and have a need for splenid cartography, than you might think. Where I live, almost every industry has a GIS need; some to note include defense, planning, environmental, real estate, government, business marketing, research, health care, utilities, and on and on.

See if there are any industry sponsered networking opportunities, such as the regional ESRI user groups, where you might be able to find others with a similar interest, and more importantly, a job opp, that you could attend. There are also a couple of internet sites that list GIS jobs posted somewhere on this board.

Bottom line is, most who post here are making a living creating maps, and if you want to do that, you will find a way.

good luck, rob

joninnh

joninnh

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Thanks for all of your quick responces! I live in southern New Hampshire and have been looking for jobs somewhat passively, due to time constraints. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have looked at where GIS is used before taking the time to get some schooling. I kept ending up with engineering folks and doing a little networking with them. That went no where and now I am going back to the drawing board. I have started getting back to basics, like Gillian mentioned, and look into industries that interest me ,(weather, history, sports, landscaping), and hopefully find uses for GIS and or mapping there. Not knowing my niche makes things a bit harder.

The reality is that I have alot of work ahead to dig up some leads and contacts. That is why I am here! I will also be using Rob's approach and attend an ESRI open house in a few weeks and hope to connnect with some people there.

Thanks again.

Jon

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

Hi Jon,

Southern New Hampsire isn't a bad place to be located for GIS interests - the Boston area has a lot of opportunities for both work and networking. Look for the informal local GIS user groups as well, Maine has one based in the Portland area, but the name escapes me - I'll see if I can dig that up for you.

m.
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->