7 replies to this topic

Giasen

Giasen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

I have never really succeeded in replicating this effect. The first image is a land area in arcmap.
Attached File  arcmap.jpg   5.81KB   137 downloads

The second image is the same area but has an artistic effect performed on it. Two thumbs straight up if anybody can decipher what effect is run in order to replicate this appearance.

Attached File  photoshop.jpg   11.35KB   121 downloads

Fiddled with adding noise, gausian blurs, some embossing or shadows. Never quite got close enough though.
GPS

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hard to see the exact effects in the thumbnails you posted, but I sense this is a 2 min effect:

Likely they imported the land polygons into a layer in Photoshop (copy from Illy, paste in PS), transparent background, RBG, 300dpi, then did the following:
- Pattern overlay / transparency
- Outerglow

Then export as PNG, linked to an Illy Layer.

The trick is to first ensure the land layer has the major waterbodies subtracted from it (can do this in GIS or Illy) - assuming you aren't drawing your own coastline and states.

Giasen

Giasen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

Hard to see the exact effects in the thumbnails you posted, but I sense this is a 2 min effect:

Likely they imported the land polygons into a layer in Photoshop (copy from Illy, paste in PS), transparent background, RBG, 300dpi, then did the following:
- Pattern overlay / transparency
- Outerglow

Then export as PNG, linked to an Illy Layer.

The trick is to first ensure the land layer has the major waterbodies subtracted from it (can do this in GIS or Illy) - assuming you aren't drawing your own coastline and states.

Thanks for the quick reply! I had actually been experimenting with patterns this morning also.

Posted Image
GPS

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

In ArcGIS, go to the symbol property editor and choose Type=Marker Fill Symbol. Then click on the Random radio button. Then play with the colors. Here's one that I just did:

For this I just put the dataset on the project twice. The one underneath was a simple fill with RGB: 76,230, 0.
The one on top was a Marker Fill with separation of 8 and RGB of 76, 237, 0.

Attached Files

aug_aug

aug_aug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

It looks embossed to me, there is an emboss filter in PS, that would raise the land feature above the water and create a 3d look along the edge.

It's hard to see at this size though, maybe post a larger pic.

good luck

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I first thought it was a PS drop shadow in addition to a pattern filter - but after squinting really hard I would agree about the embossing. In the upper left corner you can see the telltale whitish glint.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I first thought it was a PS drop shadow in addition to a pattern filter - but after squinting really hard I would agree about the embossing. In the upper left corner you can see the telltale whitish glint.

Yep, embossed it is.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I have done the embossing in Illy as well, having offeset duplicates of the layers which I think trim using the pathfinders (one layer for the highlight bevel, and one layer for the shadow bevel). It works fine if the polygons are not too complicated, but it increases the path count quite a bit.

I guess one can do it in Arc as well, not sure how one would offset the polygons there though...

Also done it in PS, very easy to do there.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->