As to your frustrations, as MLK said: If you can't fly, run.
Surrender is not in my name because if I run then I failed miserably. So I know most of what ails me, it's called having a job then quitting it because of circumstances of where you know your not going any where's with a very low wage & part time hours. I have never made anything over 11K in my entire life, & freelancing one way or another is my way towards a better life.
What I do know is that:
- my marketing strategy is not working
- I need more connections to network for projects and/or get a career in the chosen field of my choice
- the geography of where I live is dominated by labour & agriculture rather then technological careers
- even during good economic times the province of Nova Scotia is still a poor economy with little opportunities for growth, expansion, & is heavily taxed which prevents substantial business growth
- I started freelancing at the the very start of the recession
- governments hire their own work force & therefore there is little opportunity for projects
- due to low funds while I know where I want to specialize in I do not have the resources at this time to go where I want
- I quit my job in September because I was stuck going no where up the chain, & even when I was employed my cheques were $200 per week, (unsatisfactory). But due to the recession meaningful employment is hard to obtain.
- And at the age of 30 I am paying a student debt that I can not afford, & the under government regulation I can not declare bankruptcy for 10 years after the fact
- and as a result I graduated at the age of 25, & been living with my parents ever since. I can't even afford my own vehicle, & I shouldn't be dependent at my age
- I am disabled on my left hand with a fixed finger hanging at 90° which makes me ineligible for employment in descent paying jobs within my geographic location
- get out of the bidding sites, services are not fair towards the geo-spatial industry & there is too much undercutting in the price quotes especially on map jobs
- cartography is a closed niche
- I am no good with web design, & my writing skills are only average. I need to hire a website designer & a professional writer
- if I can not get in the field then my goal is to update my GIS skills by returning back to school. Of course that means working at the same time
My goals are:
- to obtain a career & not have a job, (I hope you know the difference)
- live the life I am meant to, (not necessary wealthy, but living good)
- to travel to places
- to enjoy my job & not be ashamed of it
- to be independent, happy, & enjoy my life
- to meet people, not be confined & unable to travel
- have my loans payed off & get them off my back never to be bothered again
- to teach others what I have learned & encourage them to reach their goals
- perhaps obtain a university degree in geography, business, or something else some day when I can afford it
So as you can see I'm not giving up, I'm a fighter, & nothing is going to stop me. And besides running is for losers & though it's very frustrating rate now I know I will get there. Perhaps not as fast as the majority of cartographers, but that's the way of my life has been. Because I always reach my goals in the end just at a much slower rate.