5 replies to this topic

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hi guys I will be posting an updated resume within the next days showing my current level of experience. I have enjoyed freelancing when I get the projects & will continue to do so but because I average only one project every two months I am going to need to get a job.

I strongly want a GIS position due mostly to the experience, my interest in the thrill of displaying information from a table & calculating results, & the descent salary. So my problem is: word is not spreading about my operation so no one still knows who I am, my GIS experience is there but not up to the level it should be, five years out of college with only limited freelance experience.

I'm not sure what route I should take at this point, because I would hate the thought of getting something I don't care much for. However I'm thinking that the best route for me at this point should be more of a focus on the indirect approach to reach my goals. But my main question is for someone who has been fighting for five years to get into the field full time how do I get there?

Hasdrubal - This might be a good 'Business of Cartography' topic.

As to your frustrations, as MLK said: If you can't fly, run.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hasdrubal - This might be a good 'Business of Cartography' topic.

I agree B)

And just as a little plug, at the upcoming NACIS conference, there will be a round table discussion on the gory details of running a small cartographic business (or freelancing in the field) featuring Derek Tonn, Dennis McClendon, me and hopefully one or two other people. This is certainly one of the topics we will want to cover.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

As to your frustrations, as MLK said: If you can't fly, run.

Surrender is not in my name because if I run then I failed miserably. So I know most of what ails me, it's called having a job then quitting it because of circumstances of where you know your not going any where's with a very low wage & part time hours. I have never made anything over 11K in my entire life, & freelancing one way or another is my way towards a better life.

What I do know is that:

- my marketing strategy is not working
- I need more connections to network for projects and/or get a career in the chosen field of my choice
- the geography of where I live is dominated by labour & agriculture rather then technological careers
- even during good economic times the province of Nova Scotia is still a poor economy with little opportunities for growth, expansion, & is heavily taxed which prevents substantial business growth
- I started freelancing at the the very start of the recession
- governments hire their own work force & therefore there is little opportunity for projects
- due to low funds while I know where I want to specialize in I do not have the resources at this time to go where I want
- I quit my job in September because I was stuck going no where up the chain, & even when I was employed my cheques were $200 per week, (unsatisfactory). But due to the recession meaningful employment is hard to obtain.
- And at the age of 30 I am paying a student debt that I can not afford, & the under government regulation I can not declare bankruptcy for 10 years after the fact
- and as a result I graduated at the age of 25, & been living with my parents ever since. I can't even afford my own vehicle, & I shouldn't be dependent at my age
- I am disabled on my left hand with a fixed finger hanging at 90° which makes me ineligible for employment in descent paying jobs within my geographic location
- get out of the bidding sites, services are not fair towards the geo-spatial industry & there is too much undercutting in the price quotes especially on map jobs
- cartography is a closed niche
- I am no good with web design, & my writing skills are only average. I need to hire a website designer & a professional writer
- if I can not get in the field then my goal is to update my GIS skills by returning back to school. Of course that means working at the same time

My goals are:

- to obtain a career & not have a job, (I hope you know the difference)
- live the life I am meant to, (not necessary wealthy, but living good)
- to travel to places
- to enjoy my job & not be ashamed of it
- to be independent, happy, & enjoy my life
- to meet people, not be confined & unable to travel
- have my loans payed off & get them off my back never to be bothered again
- to teach others what I have learned & encourage them to reach their goals
- perhaps obtain a university degree in geography, business, or something else some day when I can afford it

So as you can see I'm not giving up, I'm a fighter, & nothing is going to stop me. And besides running is for losers & though it's very frustrating rate now I know I will get there. Perhaps not as fast as the majority of cartographers, but that's the way of my life has been. Because I always reach my goals in the end just at a much slower rate.
"Abbas of novus versus"

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

I think you might have missed the point of that MLK quote entirely. It's not "if you can't fly, turn-tail and run!" It's more
like:

If you can't fly, run.
If you can't run, walk.
If you can't walk, crawl.

The point is to keep pressing forward towards your goal. I also personally think that it is meant to remind people that if they aren't willing to run/walk/crawl/whatever towards their goal, then they might not truly want it badly enough to get it done.

So, SO many people want to be their own boss and run their own shop! However, a LOT of people out there don't know how to do it...as it takes so much more than being good at designing maps. Or selling one's services. Or managing cashflows. Or wining and dining potential partners. Or looking under rocks for new leads/clients. Or filling out mounds of paperwork. Or about a thousand other tasks. None of us will ever be great at ALL of those tasks! However, we'd better have people who can help us be at least good enough at most/all of them, or we all collectively might do more crawling and walking than running or flying...
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Its great that you have started writing goals and have a positive attitude. Plus, your necessity to improve your finances via self-employment in a field you enjoy/love/talented in, all above, is also in your favor.

Thanks Derek for clarifying the MLK quote drop - I should be been more explicit. Start small and build your business one stone at a time and if something doesn't work, give it time then change tactic.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

If you can't fly, run.
If you can't run, walk.
If you can't walk, crawl.

If you can't walk – buy a Segway... :lol:

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->