• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

beefcrab

beefcrab

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • New Zealand

Hey guys, just thought that I could use some constructive crictism here. I've done up some maps which shows the generalised locations of major breeding spots for some Islands. I've attached a sample of one them here and I'm hoping I could get your opinions on it.?

There are more maps, however the theme/layout etc is essentially the same.

Feel free to nitpick anything that irks you as I'll appreciate it more if you are completely honest about it.

Attached Files

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hiya, looks very cool nice and clear. What is the intended usage? Web? Print?

I think I would suggest using a more muted color for the sea, maybe generalize the coastlines a bit more. The arrows could use some smoothing too, and they look a bit dull - they are also not antialiased. Could you get vector icons for the birds too?

What software do you use?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Mike Boruta

Mike Boruta

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Looks good so far, here are my nitpicks (you asked for them):)

North arrow and scale bar are quite large. Also, they don't seem to match the rest of the design.

The flowlines are low in the visual hierarchy. Are they important? (I'm not sure what they are indicating) If so, perhaps thicken the strokes and make the arrowheads more proportionate to the lines.

Why abbreviate island/isle to "I."? You have plenty of room to work with here.

Why the different type sizes for the smaller island labels?

Is there a reason for the radial gradient? I see concentric circles instead of a continuous spectrum. Maybe you could try some coastal vignetting techniques?
Here is a good thread on Illy and Photoshop methods: http://www.cartotalk...?showtopic=2483
Here is something for ArcGIS: http://support.esri....l...how&d=28823

I don't see the symbols for the Light Mantled Sooty Albatross or Royal Albatross anywhere on the large map. Is this intentional?

Also, (this may depend on the other maps you mentioned) why not combine all three of these maps into one?

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello beefcrab,

I agree with borga. I will add that the concentric circles are a major distraction. Rather than concentrating on the map, I was wondering if my monitor was screwed up.

For a while I assumed that the inset maps were enlarged islands off of Campbell Island. I didn't realize that they were Campbell Island at first. Maybe the data could be included on one map, or at least label Campbell Island or use a scale bar.

I'm not too familiar with New Zealand, so maybe a locator map would be useful.

Have you tried the 'type on path' command for your waterways. It appears that you have just rotated your text and it looks jagged (i.e. Preserverance Harbor).

Some text is covered by the icons.

The bottom portion of your inset boxes are not aligned with the title portion of your inset boxes.

I would try to make all my grays match, and would definitely make the scale bar and north arrow smaller and gray as well.

Hope this helps,
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

The north arrow and scale bar just look they were slapped on without going much past the defaults, not nicely designed to match the feel of the rest of the map. Is this from ArcGIS?

The radial gradient looked good on the thumbnail, where you don't see the bands. Looks like a spotlight shining on the main focus of each map, the islands. But on the actual map the bands are too obvious and distracting.

I don't mind the separate maps that focus on each species. This is quite common in books that show species distribution so it might be what the intended audience* is used to. It also makes it easier to see the distribution for a particular species at a glance without having to mentally separte it from other species.

*Which brings up the question, who is the intended audience?

p.s. fonts - I would consider making the labels for the water features italic and using the same font that's in the title for the island labels.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I love the topic - great start with the map.

Yes, mute the ocean and diagonal hatch the Right Whale zone so we understand (if not logically) that this is to overlap just the ocean.

Also, if you plan to have more inset habitat breeding maps for other birdies, maybe remove the inset frame and ocean, and kind of stack them vertically with the title to the left of the maps - since there is room on the larger map.

Great work - looking forward to seeing revision!

beefcrab

beefcrab

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • New Zealand

This is some pretty decent feedback guys! Heres a little more background:

The maps are a supplement to a report outlining the new policies which are soon to be invoked to protect the island's wildlife and eco-systems. These wildlife maps are intended to give the audience a visual appreciation of the marine wildlife currently breeding of the islands. As far as i know, the maps will be in a separate appendix.

There are a total of 5 islands to be mapped, I didn't include them all because I don't think you'll want to see them all as they're all quite similar. I also had to lower the resolution so I can upload it, hence the poor quality of the coastline.

Its intended for print for the report, but i'm sure they will require a pdf version of it for online distribution. I used ArcGIS for this. Icons are drawn using the adobe package and converted to emf.

North arrow design: its true that I didn't put much effort in selecting the style, I guess I will try to find a more appropriate one. The question is however; would you guys see it as a high priority if I were to proritise my goals?

Concentric Circles:is purely cosmetic. I tried putting non-gradient fills for the backgrounds, however it just doesn't have the impact i wanted which is what we need when we're trying to invoke stakeholders with these maps. However thanks to borga, the vignetting technique might give it the extra dimension I need without making it look overly "flashy".

Also, (this may depend on the other maps you mentioned) why not combine all three of these maps into one?

Ideally that would be how I would want it in the end, however it won't work for the other islands as you'll get species which overlap each other. I figured that this approach would be best to make reading these maps simple and straightforward.

Also the legend page is inclusive for all of the 5 maps, hence why some are not on campbell island.

razornole:
solid points, cheers. I will make all the greys the same shade to be consistent. As well as the final touch ups once it gets finalised.

Also, if you plan to have more inset habitat breeding maps for other birdies, maybe remove the inset frame and ocean, and kind of stack them vertically with the title to the left of the maps - since there is room on the larger map.

Thanks for that, I knew the inset maps can be better designed but I just didn't know how to improve it! Will try that out when I get the chance. If I mute the colour of the oceans, it should stand out enough.

Anyway, keep them coming, I'll make the adjustments when I get to work next week.

Much appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->