• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

I just saw this on Youtube. Very very cool stuff. Other videos on their site are even better. But even when I went to their website, I still dont quite understand how you can 'see your city'. Is it a service they sell? Do you have to actually order a particular place to be done by them?

Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Looks very cool!

Much better than those stupid pictorial maps, eh?
:)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

jrat

jrat

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • United States

Yes this is a service that you would have to buy. Another company, Pictometry, offers the same thing. Kinda cool technology. They fly a grid taking oblique angle shots. then determine the distance from the position of the plane to each pixel. By doing this on thousands of photos they can create highly accurate models then slap one of the photos on to the front. I attended a seminar about this process at ESRI's FEDUC this year. It is using the same photos that Microsoft uses in there Virtual earth "Bird's eye view".

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Looks very cool!

Much better than those stupid pictorial maps, eh?
:)

Ha! :lol: I'd worry more about these types of services carving-up demand for bird's eye/oblique map illustrations if they didn't look pixelated or less than stellar as you zoom in tight on buildings.

Take most of those models down to a view of a block or a single building, and all of the warts and shortcomings of the technology start to become apparent. Still, the technology is seriously COOL! I'd love to partner with a shop like that sometime...provided that they promise to give second-to-none illustrators like Jean-Louis, Michael Karpovage and Bob North their due when it comes to "data" and "algorithms" not holding a candle to drawn imagery from the standpoint of depicting specific properties. Modeling a city or a very large geographic area? Sure. Modeling a campus or rendering a specific building? Not so much, from the standpoint of art/aesthetics...at least not yet. ;)
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Extremely useful for business, architecture, planning.

Certainly the information overload of reality is too much for an oblique perspective, so I don't think this alone is any threat to custom maps.

Though on the street map side, there are now online wall map builders that automate custom wall size street maps - and charging little more than the printing costs - another nail in the mapper's coffin.

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

to add to what Derek said.

The Pictorial map art form is precisely that.. a highly interprative rendition more defined by what the process chooses to edit out.

Even if we had a perfect and super high-res zoomable system covering every inch of the globe, this would still be (as aerial photos have always been) just a starting point. Like archives and documents are to someone writing an article.

That being said, this 3c system looks like a fantastic reference but my question is: Is it availble or affordable for use as reference? or will GoogleEarth one day provide that quality of imagery?
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

The C3 technology is pretty fascinating. Ludvig presented at Where 2.0 this year and showcased the tech. It's worth a watch - but no mention of the cost.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

or will GoogleEarth one day provide that quality of imagery?

yep, eventually - which is what C3 is banking on (selling out).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->