• 569 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

What's your favorite interactive map experience? I've been realizing the more I look at interactive maps that to really make them work you have to think of the interactive experience from the ground up, not just plop a static map with some on-off layers into a web frame.

My two favorites are the University of Wisconsin campus map and the Olympic medals map the NY Times did last year. Any other nominees?

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

So, does nobody have a favorite interactive map? Is it a secret? Was it a slow day when I asked?

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Hey Nat!

As promised during our little get-together in Springfield a few weeks ago, here are the links to a few of our recent efforts to use Flash to develop more interesting and/or interactive experiences for end users:

1. Borough of Manhattan Community College Area Map. Michael Karpovage did the artwork, and John Wilcox did all of the Flash engine work to make it run. It's been a hit with folks around that campus community...and is flexible enough (built incorporating XML) to allow for tons of customization, additions and deletions with something as simple as Notepad for "software."

2. Youngstown State University SketchUp map. Nate Logston did the SketchUp work, and John Wilcox made it come to life on-screen via Flash and XML. Another very-well received interactive mapping experience to this point...though it is just in the process of being finalized and rolled-out in front of the general public.

3. Greater Grace Temple "portfolio folder." Not an interactive map experience, per se. However, a new and different way our firm is trying to share some of our past projects with prospective clients using Flash. We're also able to use the tool (another John Wilcox creation) to prepare unique RFP responses for prospective clients as well...directing them to an HTML page that packages the information they request into convenient on-screen "tabs." Fun to "play" with on my end...at BARE minimum! :)

That's some of what we've been up to around mapformation lately. We've got even more unique and interesting variations to these types of presentations coming in the months ahead as well! For the time being though, I'd love a little feedback...as would John. Thanks!
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hey Nat!

As promised during our little get-together in Springfield a few weeks ago, here are the links to a few of our recent efforts to use Flash to develop more interesting and/or interactive experiences for end users:

1. Borough of Manhattan Community College Area Map. Michael Karpovage did the artwork, and John Wilcox did all of the Flash engine work to make it run. It's been a hit with folks around that campus community...and is flexible enough (built incorporating XML) to allow for tons of customization, additions and deletions with something as simple as Notepad for "software."

2. Youngstown State University SketchUp map. Nate Logston did the SketchUp work, and John Wilcox made it come to life on-screen via Flash and XML. Another very-well received interactive mapping experience to this point...though it is just in the process of being finalized and rolled-out in front of the general public.

3. Greater Grace Temple "portfolio folder." Not an interactive map experience, per se. However, a new and different way our firm is trying to share some of our past projects with prospective clients using Flash. We're also able to use the tool (another John Wilcox creation) to prepare unique RFP responses for prospective clients as well...directing them to an HTML page that packages the information they request into convenient on-screen "tabs." Fun to "play" with on my end...at BARE minimum! :)

That's some of what we've been up to around mapformation lately. We've got even more unique and interesting variations to these types of presentations coming in the months ahead as well! For the time being though, I'd love a little feedback...as would John. Thanks!

Nate, the above are my new favorites. :D (hats off to mapformation)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->