12 replies to this topic

hocgis

hocgis

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Vietnam

I have cell-header features (that have hole in) in MicroStation. Now i want to convert to GeoDatabase in ArcGIS. Can anyone help me?! Many thanks!

Mike Vessel

Mike Vessel

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

I am assuming you are referring to cells and not cell headers (these are non-graphic element types associated with the cell). If you are indeed referring to basic cells, a simple option is to use the Feature to Point tool in ArcToolBox. This one is pretty straight forward and typically works well if you are trying to go directly from a cell to a point feature.

If you need access to other cell geometric components, another option is to use the Import from CAD tool in ArcToolbox. It imports the dgn to a staging GDB and you can then access any desired geometry (point geometry, lines that make up the cell, polygons in the cells, etc...) for further conversion to your final GDB.

If I am misunderstanding your cell situation, you will need to provide some additional details.

Hope this helps.

Mike

hocgis

hocgis

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Vietnam

I am assuming you are referring to cells and not cell headers (these are non-graphic element types associated with the cell). If you are indeed referring to basic cells, a simple option is to use the Feature to Point tool in ArcToolBox. This one is pretty straight forward and typically works well if you are trying to go directly from a cell to a point feature.

If you need access to other cell geometric components, another option is to use the Import from CAD tool in ArcToolbox. It imports the dgn to a staging GDB and you can then access any desired geometry (point geometry, lines that make up the cell, polygons in the cells, etc...) for further conversion to your final GDB.

If I am misunderstanding your cell situation, you will need to provide some additional details.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I am really happy for your reply. I am studying by myself how to convert graphic data (dgn format) to GDB.
My situation is:
In MicroStation (Ver 8.5), when I use IDENTIFY button (that has "I" letter) clicking a graphic (cell header), the shape of it is Cell header, and then click the plus sign (+) the shape is Complex shape, continously, click the plus sign (+) the shape is Line string...
The graphic comlex like that cannot export to GDB in ArcGIS. I don't know why?! Although in help documents of ArcGIS, I see "cell header" is supported by ArcGIS.

Maybe I will try to use the Import from CAD tool in ArcToolbox. Hope to be useful for me! Thanks... once more. :) Looking forward to your help!

PS: My English is not good. Hope you can understand what I mean.

Mike Vessel

Mike Vessel

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

Hope this helps.

Mike

I am really happy for your reply. I am studying by myself how to convert graphic data (dgn format) to GDB.
My situation is:
In MicroStation (Ver 8.5), when I use IDENTIFY button (that has "I" letter) clicking a graphic (cell header), the shape of it is Cell header, and then click the plus sign (+) the shape is Complex shape, continously, click the plus sign (+) the shape is Line string...
The graphic comlex like that cannot export to GDB in ArcGIS. I don't know why?! Although in help documents of ArcGIS, I see "cell header" is supported by ArcGIS.

Maybe I will try to use the Import from CAD tool in ArcToolbox. Hope to be useful for me! Thanks... once more. :) Looking forward to your help!

PS: My English is not good. Hope you can understand what I mean.

Hi,
The biggest consideration is how you intend to represent the geometry of your cell data in the GDB.

When you look at the cell header in Microstation, it is just providing meta information about the cell (what elements make up the cell, position, etc...). Typically, cells in CAD files represent discrete point features (tree, power pole, etc...). If this is the case with your data, you can use Feature to Point and bring the cell directly across as a point feature which you can attribute and symbolize in ArcGIS however you see fit. If you actually need to retain the linestrings, ellipses, shapes, etc... that make up the cell components as line or polygon feature classes, this is where the Import from CAD tool will help.

Good luck!

Mike

hocgis

hocgis

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Vietnam

I forgot tell you that I want to convert cell-header (in Micro) to polygon (in GDB).
Polygon must have the hole like the file attached here. Attached File  Doc1.doc   30.5KB   55 downloads

I have tried to use the Import from CAD tool in ArcToolbox. However that tool just allow to convert the whole DGN CAD feature dataset, not allow to convert a certain class. How can I choose one layer to convert with this tool?

Can I convert piece by piece cell components (see the file)? The result in this case is several component of polygon overlap each other. And then I will use Clip tool to create the hole?

I am very grateful for your help.

Edited by hocgis, 12 June 2009 - 04:09 AM.

Mike Vessel

Mike Vessel

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

I forgot tell you that I want to convert cell-header (in Micro) to polygon (in GDB).
Polygon must have the hole like the file attached here. Attached File  Doc1.doc   30.5KB   55 downloads

I have tried to use the Import from CAD tool in ArcToolbox. However that tool just allow to convert the whole DGN CAD feature dataset, not allow to convert a certain class. How can I choose one layer to convert with this tool?

Can I convert piece by piece cell components (see the file)? The result in this case is several component of polygon overlap each other. And then I will use Clip tool to create the hole?

I am very grateful for your help.

Hi,
In order to limit your analysis to your target cells after conversion, there has to be some unique way to isolate them from the rest of your CAD data. For example, if they are on a unique level or level/color combination, you can query these features from the CAD staging database after running the Import from CAD tool and export them to a new feature class for further processing. Before you can do this, you will need to join the appropriate line or poly feature classes to the appropriate table generated by this tool that contains your unique values (probably the Entity table).

The other option which may be simpler in this case is to do some editing / data formatting in Microstation before importing the data. I would probably write these cells out to their own DGN file, drop the cells to their base components, and go from there. With this approach, you isolate the data in your file from other CAD data and eliminate the cell as a container for your line work. This should simplify your conversion assuming the line work is all you need to translate.

Good luck!

Mike

Ninomax

Ninomax

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Vietnam

Chào bạn hocgis :D
i would use FME to translate from DGN to GDB in this case.

hocgis

hocgis

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Vietnam

Hi, my fellow-countryman!
Have you ever tried to convert entity likes that? I mean the cell-header.
If you have any tip to resolve this problem using ArcGIS tools, could you help me?

Ninomax

Ninomax

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Vietnam

If you have any tip to resolve this problem using ArcGIS tools, could you help me?

hi hocgis,
get me @ lethanhx2k@gmail.com

hocgis

hocgis

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Vietnam

hi hocgis,

I have attached a dgn file. Can everybody help me convert to polygon in GDB please?
Thanks so much!

PS: Change the extension from *.doc to *.dgn after download the file. Attached File  convert_cell_header.doc   28.5KB   25 downloads

Ninomax

Ninomax

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Vietnam

hi hocgis,

I have attached a dgn file. Can everybody help me convert to polygon in GDB please?
Thanks so much!

PS: Change the extension from *.doc to *.dgn after download the file. Attached File  convert_cell_header.doc   28.5KB   25 downloads

i have converted to shp format.See attached file. Change doc to rar

Attached Files

hocgis

hocgis

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Vietnam

hi hocgis,

Thanks so much!

An indirect converting? dgn --> shp --> gdb
How about the direct way? dgn --> gdb and some editing in gdb?

Ninomax

Ninomax

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Vietnam

hi hocgis,

Thanks so much!

An indirect converting? dgn --> shp --> gdb
How about the direct way? dgn --> gdb and some editing in gdb?

Hmm, no. i can do the same as shp. Just change destination format as gdb. You should look around Data interoparability extension in ArcGIS help for this task.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->