- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

GreenLabelman

GreenLabelman

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United States

Has anyone tried FiberStone stone paper as an alternative to synthetic papers such as polyart and hop syn? Stone paper is waterproof, grease-proof, tear resistant and eco-friendly. Stone paper also carries a lower cost than synthetic papers and is perfect for map making and guidebooks I think.

Attached Files

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Has anyone tried FiberStone stone paper as an alternative to synthetic papers such as polyart and hop syn? Stone paper is waterproof, grease-proof, tear resistant and eco-friendly. Stone paper also carries a lower cost than synthetic papers and is perfect for map making and guidebooks I think.

Are you, by any chance, associated with Fiberstone?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Jason

Jason

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Geography, and more Cartography. Oh, I also garden and golf in the summer.
  • United States

I was hoping for more technical information, not just marketing crap.
Jason Clark
Clark Cartography

Without Geography, you'd be nowhere.

GreenLabelman

GreenLabelman

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United States

Are you, by any chance, associated with Fiberstone?

Forgive me Hans, I do print labels on FiberStone®. But it doesn't change the fact that it's a phenomenal paper for mapmaking, and it is much greener than the synthetics.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Netherlands

Forgive me Hans, I do print labels on FiberStone®. But it doesn't change the fact that it's a phenomenal paper for mapmaking, and it is much greener than the synthetics.

"Yes" would have been much simpler.

We do not really have a problem over here with people representing businesses or promiting a product or service. Press releases can be posted in the relevant section (where you initially put this, but since you formulated it as a question I moved it here) and if you have something to add to existing discussions, you are more than welcome to do so.

However, it would be highly appreciated if you would make it clear you have a relationship other than "enthusiastic user" with the product.
Red Geographics

GreenLabelman

GreenLabelman

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United States

"Yes" would have been much simpler.

We do not really have a problem over here with people representing businesses or promiting a product or service. Press releases can be posted in the relevant section (where you initially put this, but since you formulated it as a question I moved it here) and if you have something to add to existing discussions, you are more than welcome to do so.

However, it would be highly appreciated if you would make it clear you have a relationship other than "enthusiastic user" with the product.

Thank you Hans, no problem.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Netherlands

And of course we're all dying to hear why FiberStone is a good alternative for maps. I take it it's waterproof and tear-resistant? Can it be folded easily?
Red Geographics

GreenLabelman

GreenLabelman

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United States

And of course we're all dying to hear why FiberStone is a good alternative for maps. I take it it's waterproof and tear-resistant? Can it be folded easily?

Yes, FiberStone® folds very well and it is waterproof without the need for lamination. It is tree-free and recycles well with both papers and plastics. www.naturalsourceprinting.com

Jason

Jason

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Geography, and more Cartography. Oh, I also garden and golf in the summer.
  • United States

How does the ink hold up to being folded and also how would a map hold up to outdoor use over time when the paper is photodegradable. no more leaving your maps on the dash Posted Image
Jason Clark
Clark Cartography

Without Geography, you'd be nowhere.

GreenLabelman

GreenLabelman

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United States

How does the ink hold up to being folded and also how would a map hold up to outdoor use over time when the paper is photodegradable. no more leaving your maps on the dash Posted Image

The photodegradable part is debatable. In direct sunlight day in and day out over a very long period it may start to break down but not on your dash. Your paper maps will degrade just the same unless they have toxic vinyl (PVC) laminates in which case the sunlight is breaking down the PVC and it is releasing toxic chemicals into your car for you to breathe.

The ink holds up quite well to folding. Ask the Port of Long Beach who used FiberStone® for a gorgeous trifold brochure. They love FiberStone® (google FiberStone and "port of long beach".

kellenwong

kellenwong

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hop-Syn synthetic paper is as green as Fiberstone and the claim to be “much greener” needs to be better substantiated. Hop-Syn synthetic paper also has a calcium carbonate and non-toxic resin construction. In the case of Hop-Syn synthetic paper, the non-toxic resin is a mixture of PP and PE.

The real issue here is the folderability and scoring effect.
Even though I am from Hop Industries, I won't even comment if our Hop Syn is better on folderability, because we are currently testing stone paper too and learning from everyone here. We already tested stone paper's ec0-friendliness; but, I can assure everyone, it is not "greener" than our Hop Syn.

DonovanK

DonovanK

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

How do the colors look on each of the two papers? I also wonder about fading in the heat and sun. While biodegradable is a good thing, it's not if the map is going to disintegrate from getting wet or from too much sun or heat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->