Highlighting zip code shapefiles
Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:03 PM
I have a shape file of zip coded areas of Oregon(with a field named "zipcode"), and an excel database of all the relevant zipcodes. While I can overlay the zip codes to the shape file, the intersection only appears as points. Instead, I want the whole zip coded area to highlight where intersection occured.
How do I do that?
Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:06 PM
Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:59 AM
Frank - I think I understand: you want to select the zipcode polygons by the locations of your point dataset? To do this use 'select by location' function in ArcView/ArcMap.
Thank you for your reply! Sorry I wasn't clear on my question. Yes, like the "select by location" function, but instead of having only the boundary highlighted, I want the actual area within the boundary lines to be highlighted (or filled with a color).
Is that possible?
Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:59 AM
One method: change the layer selection color.
1. Right-click a layer in the table of contents and click Properties.
2. Click the Selection tab.
3. Click "with this color" and choose a color.
4. Click OK.
Attached .png shows 3 selected features.
(Another more permanent method:
1. Add an attrib field to your polygon feature class
2. do your "Select by Location" to select some polygons
3. open table > right click on field > calculate
4. calculate some value (e.g. 1)
5. symbolize layer with unique values.
6. choose a a special symbol for features with value 1.)
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users