Pierre-Armand Lalonde

Pierre-Armand Lalonde

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Maps, Mp3 Walking Tour
  • Canada

Hello from Quebec city Canada.
Been reading some your your posts and find your experience and insight amazing.
I am the project manager for a walking tour in Quebec city. (see OldQuebecMap.com)
We just recently acquired the rights to this map and looking into the next edition.
We offer a free MP3 tour but charge for the MAP so the quality of the product is very important.
I am wondering if others are into MP3 tour map projects for pointers on design and the business.

Regards,

Pierre-Armand

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

I'm starting to look into this type of tourism area. I've been learning about QRCode, and RFID amongst other mixed reality technologies. Do you use any of these for the walking tour?

Cheers,
David

Pierre-Armand Lalonde

Pierre-Armand Lalonde

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Canada

Hi David,
I know of these tech but no I do not use them.
I am also fascinated with reality technologies.
Have you seen this demo on YouTube:

Can I ask which project you currently work on?
Mine is OldQuebecMap.com

Pierre

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hi David,
I know of these tech but no I do not use them.
I am also fascinated with reality technologies.
Have you seen this demo on YouTube:

Can I ask which project you currently work on?
Mine is OldQuebecMap.com

Pierre

That's excellent - Three yrs ago I had the similar idea for a mobile device when I was looking at medieval castle hilltops in Italy - many maps do not show the landscape the way one views it from a hilltop, plus the ability to use wireless service to port info about the town and historic features / geotag picture etc. would be very useful for tourists.

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

Yep, I've seen that one before. It really looks fantastic.

I'm involved with a project in Australia, that might (hopefully) start to use mixed reality technologies in remote areas. The project lead was initially looking at QR barcodes and mobile phones, but I think I've convinced her that isn't going to work in these areas. It requires internet access and mobile phone reception...very unlikely outside of a major city. I bet something like that could be setup relatively easy in a major area like Quebec City. Just put some qr barcodes on the street, and set up a website with the mp3 files (which you have). The visitor just needs to download the QR reader to their mobile phone (I think the IPhone even comes with one). Doesn't even require a smart phone in most cases, but it would require internet access. I guess QR barcodes are common place in Japan, and haven't really caught on yet in Australia or North America.

Anyway, your project looks really good. If I understand your site right, you purchase the map, and then can download the mp3 files. Have you looked into renting units with the files already installed? I'm thinking that will be the best option for us, because we don't want people to be able obtain the media if you aren't actually at that location...

Cheers,
David

ctknoll_ngs

ctknoll_ngs

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Pierre,

Check out this website. It is a company my group has worked with. We have produced the printed map, and they have supplied audio infomration.

http://www.tektrek.com/default.aspx

Good luck

Chris

Pierre-Armand Lalonde

Pierre-Armand Lalonde

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Canada

Verry impressive Chris.
The quality of the web site and the audio preview is very nice.
Each tour seems close to 10$US for audio and map but does this include shipping and taxes?
The site does not state which is a common error with transactionnal sites.
I wonder if they sale enough to cover costs.
I would think the partnerships with Forbes, National Geographic, Hertz, Expedia, Grayline, Audible.com etc.. is more interesting.

Our business model is somewhat different.
We mostly sale the map locally and give away the mp3 tour as a plus value.
Thanks for the link.

Pierre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->