gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

Hello there,

I'm attaching link to some maps that we're prepared for the series of mountains guides. The source of data: upsampled SRTM, old topographic maps, Landsat ETM +. A lot of data were also gathered by people in the field using GPS receivers. Attached maps are just two sites from one of 5 miniatlases covering polish mountains with coresponding cover navigator. Each route has also its own map.
Total area coverage : almost 19 000 km2, number of maps: 296.
Work took almost one year ... : )

http://picasaweb.goo...2009/Cartotalk#

Thank you cartomatic for the assistance !.

All comments are welcome,
Regards,

Gregory

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Hello Gregory,

Just some quick comments:
  • Overall feel - very professional, looks like you spent a lot of time with all the detailed labeling and symbols.
  • On the second image, the blow up with Kroscienko in the middle, the yellow used to highlight the route that is profiled is very hard to discern, at least I had a hard time with it. At first, I thought it was an out and back but the profile doesn't jive with that.
  • Your legend images show you spent quite some time figuring out symbols for a number of features (since I can't read the text, not sure if they are appropriate), but you have an AWFUL lot of them. Makes for very busy maps, can you focus the maps a bit and get rid of some of the clutter?
That's my two cents worth. Looks like you spent a lot of time on these, my suggestions are just that. I think your maps look great as they are. Good luck!
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

Hello Gregory,

Just some quick comments:

• Overall feel - very professional, looks like you spent a lot of time with all the detailed labeling and symbols.
  • On the second image, the blow up with Kroscienko in the middle, the yellow used to highlight the route that is profiled is very hard to discern, at least I had a hard time with it. At first, I thought it was an out and back but the profile doesn't jive with that.
  • Your legend images show you spent quite some time figuring out symbols for a number of features (since I can't read the text, not sure if they are appropriate), but you have an AWFUL lot of them. Makes for very busy maps, can you focus the maps a bit and get rid of some of the clutter?
That's my two cents worth. Looks like you spent a lot of time on these, my suggestions are just that. I think your maps look great as they are. Good luck!

Esther,

Thank you for answer. I didn't attend forum for a week, so that's why I reply so late.

1) About yellow. I can guarantee that it's just an monitor display illusion. Even thought similar colour separation they contrast pretty well printed.
2) Using so many symbols was necessary.
a)- Each route map correspond with text describing route. In text the same icons are used to describe exact route and places (marked by symbols, of course) on it. Its give a good navigation between text and map parts of book. Some way text couldn't correspond with maps so good without so many icons.
B) The main reason number of icons couldn't be reduced is simply. Each icons represent in true world entity that couldn't be represent by any other used in legend : ). I mean it would be a mistake (especially for mountain tourist) to not serve him as exact information as it's posiblle about the nature of object. Example: I could use for icon to represent sleeping place, instead there are 3 (refuge,tended field, hotel) - it's give a good idea about the nature, the same time prizes level, etc. There are some other objects categories that also could be reduced to one symbol, one category... however I'm not sure if this could serve well to map. Also the mannier of polish tourist maps and trust that people who decide go to mountains can read maps and the more information the find on it the more map serve them let me belive I didn't overloaded the maps : )

Thank you one more time for comment,

Gregory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->