6 replies to this topic

haris179

haris179

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Pakistan

can some body tell me what the hell is GIS engine? i am using ERDAS, ESRI AND Geomedia. i think these are called GIS engines but i am not sure about it.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

A GIS engine stores data, shows data, connects the table using an 'ID' field to a drawing, projects data, uses a database, allows for computations, okay need I go on? So that does make ArcGIS an engine. Unless your confusing it with a car engine. :lol:

Sorry guys this thread gives me the giggles.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

pghardy

pghardy

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • United Kingdom

can some body tell me what the hell is GIS engine? i am using ERDAS, ESRI AND Geomedia. i think these are called GIS engines but i am not sure about it.

Depending who used the phrase, they may have meant 'ArcGIS Engine' which is an ESRI product see http://www.esri.com/...s/arcgisengine/.

Simplistically, it is the majority of the functionality of ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap etc), without the full user interface, presented as a set of software objects that can be embedded in an IT application to add GIS and mapping capabilities.

People use it to do things like develop customer solutions which are not 'GIS applications', but may need some GIS functionality (e.g. command and control applications, or field update applications).

Unlike ArcGIS Desktop which is only available on Microsoft Windows, ArcGIS Engine is available on Linux and Solaris as well as Windows.

Does that help?
--
Paul Hardy
ESRI Europe (phardy@esri.com)

haris179

haris179

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Pakistan

thank you so much guys. i had an idea that arcGIS could be an engine but want sure about it.
well keep up the good work guys

haris179

haris179

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Pakistan

A GIS engine stores data, shows data, connects the table using an 'ID' field to a drawing, projects data, uses a database, allows for computations, okay need I go on? So that does make ArcGIS an engine. Unless your confusing it with a car engine. :lol:

how old are you ?

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

We all started somewhere... I came into GIS and Cartography with a Medieval History background... I had no idea even what ArcGIS was... even less what a GIS Engine was (but I could talk hours about 14th Century French historians though... ;) ).

GISRox

GISRox

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, maps, travel.
  • United States

I have a slightly different take. Since my background is in programming and software development, when I hear "GIS Engine" I think of the programatic API(application programmer interface) that the software provides to drive a custom application. The GIS Engine provides me the opportunity to create or customize a software application to fit my customer needs. ESRI, MapInfo, and Manifold all provide a GIS Engine to accomplish this task.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->