4 replies to this topic

LenHoffman

LenHoffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States
Ok here goes I figured I've come pretty far along on this County map that I've received so much help with from fellow members on, and figured I'd post if for some comments and/or suggestions. I still have a bit further to go before it's done a plan on posting when completed.

Thanks in advance,
Len

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

Len,

that actually took about 20 mins to download. maybe post a smaller version? couple things i'd mention:

-to make the type consistent, or at least in a hierarchy that is understandable; i.e. some roads are in caps, other not, and it is not clear from where this difference is coming from. Why is land abbriviated Ln and drive as DR?

-the hillshade is almost indiscernible. If it's important supporting info perhaps make it a little more visable.

-the leader lines for the road labels seem to add unnecessary line work. perhaps rotate some of that text to make them align more tightly.

regards,

rob

LenHoffman

LenHoffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States
RoadMap as JPG

Sorry the file is so big I had to work on it but I believe the link should work now ( Its a much smaller file however I believe that it lost a little quality).

I tried to run an export to JPG from Illustrator however the computer mentioned that I didn't have enough memory.

LenHoffman

LenHoffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

-to make the type consistent, or at least in a hierarchy that is understandable; i.e. some roads are in caps, other not, and it is not clear from where this difference is coming from.  Why is lane abbriviated Ln and drive as DR?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks,

While trying to make it into a smaller file I did knowtice that one of the fonts that I was working with needs to be changed to be able to be viewed better. You did bring up a valid point that we had not thought of ( I'll add explantion in to the legend) But roads that are all CAPS represent public roads and those that are not are private roads. I agree with you that alot of the leader line do make the map to busy (the text is from the original map that was made out of house and I've been making changes as I go ( I wasn't sure if I should but your agreement lets me know that I'm on the right track.) The relief is more of a added "value" we didn't want to produce a map that just had a white backround and we are hopeing that it will give the user a general idea of the terrain in the area that they may be serching for. Should I make it more transparent?

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Len,
Here are a few quick comments:
I would try reducing the size of the stroke on "Mountain Lake" (the "Mountain Lake" with the gradient and transparency). It's a bit heavy compared to the other line features on the map that may carry more weight.

The shaded relief is a useful addition. However, if you are going to include it I would make it little more prominent. Not by much...just a little.

You could also play around with the street text placement if you have the time. I found a few places where it's difficult to read and could be adjusted. Rob's comment on improving the visually heirarchy is a good one - especially when it comes to the text.

This is a little nit-picky: I like the gradient and transparency effect on "Mountain", but I have to wonder what it would like if it had the same fill and stroke colors (and no effects) as the other lakes?

Nice work!

Mr. Erin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->