2 replies to this topic

leinad

leinad

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Canada

Hello,

Anybody has encoutered this weird problem with Illustartor CS?

I created a map in Illustartor CS and I have a rectangle with a shadow. The map size is 23Mb by itself (eps) but when the shadow is present, the file size jump to 175Mb. It is therefor not printable (printer crashes, etc). We have decided to forgo the shadow in this year map because of time constraint.

What would cause this??

Daniel

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Anybody has encoutered this weird problem with Illustartor CS?

I created a map in Illustartor CS and I have a rectangle with a shadow. The map size is 23Mb by itself (eps) but when the shadow is present, the file size jump to 175Mb. It is therefor not printable (printer crashes, etc). We have decided to forgo the shadow in this year map because of time constraint.

What would cause this??

Drop shadows are a raster effect, depending on the size and complexity of the object(s) you're applying a shadow to, they can indeed bloat your file. You can play with the Effect -> Document Raster Settings dialog to see if you can tone it down a bit.

Also... a File -> Save As instead of a File -> Save every now and then works miracles...
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Daniel,

There are a few things you can do to the file that will enable you to print, however some have drawbacks. Vectors (like your rectangle) require Level 3 Postscript to display raster effects and some printers do not (yet) have the ability to process the complexities that PS3 contain, so you are left with a few marginal options. You can lower the resolution of the rester effects like Hans mentionioned or you can simply turn your map into a high-resolution raster file.

If I were you I would save the map from AI as a PDF and open it in Photoshop. You will be prompted for the desired resolution (pick 300-600dpi) and Photoshop will RIP it into a raster.

Printers handle rasters better than vectors. You could lose a little legibility, but if the final output is a desktop printer (rather than offset) it should be fine.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->