DMoore

DMoore

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United States

Greetings CartoTalkers -
This map is map # 2 in a document that has already made clear the location of this map (so no desire for a locater map or similar stuff). In general, this map is to be used by people intimately familiar with the area and the project as a whole.

Major issues is for viewers of the map are the ability to identify roads, railroads, and the Marromeu Complex boundaries and the current buffer area (see legend). Cities are mostly there as mental locators.

I'm hoping for your general thoughts on the aesthetics and easy of reading etc. The title and descriptive text is incorporated int eh document itself.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts folks!

Attached Files

Dorn Moore, GISP
Green Space GIS

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

I'm not a big fan of putting drop shadows on lots of stuff so I'd probably remove them from your labels. But maybe that's just me. :)
Seems like the focus of the map, the reserve and buffer areas, is a bit close to the edge on the left and bottom. In fact, the buffer area is partially cut off at the bottom. Maybe you can shift it all a bit to the right and upwards.
The text for the cities and the areas inside the reserve looks very similar to me. I would emphasize the areas a bit more and/or de-emphasize the cities.
I know plenty of people object to titling legends "Legend". Maybe someone has a better suggestion...
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Crischan

Crischan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Spatial Information Design
  • Germany

my quick 2 cents: consider putting the rivers above the areas. it looks funny with them only partly visible trough the area polygons.
Crischan Wygoda
http://wygoda.net

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Great map!

The roads should be distinct from the complex boundaries. RR tracks should be closer together. Is the eastern most complex not labeled?
Background - maybe lose the topo look and make it a flat, neutral color - pale yellow or pale gray.
Instead of 4 divisions in the scale bar, one bar with 0-60 would be fine.
Rivers, if they are important information, make them thinner, lighter, and on top of land, below roads. Label major rivers.
Lastly, you could lose Legend and tighten up the box.

-Chris

kent

kent

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Canada

I agree with some of the previous comments, and have some of my own:

All rivers and streams should be the same color.

The buffer zone sould not be cut-off at the bottom. I agree with moving the frame a bit.

I don't think the legend title is necessary.

Scale bar could be simplified, but thar is very minor.

The city 'Chinde' is located in the zone, but the name is outside. If this city is ON the coast then you can put the name in the water. The halo applied to the label here infringes on the zone making a small area appear to be not in the zone.

The city 'Marromeu' is also within the zone, but the label is outside; the label is also on the other side of the river. If this map is made in a GIS program try converting this label to an annotation and making it fit where it belongs ( inside the zone and on the same side of the river).

I can't tell if the city 'Inhamitanga' is in the zone or not.

It would be nice to see a coastline.

The two 'Reserva Florestal' features are too close in color to their background, and do not stand out at all.

The buffer zone is also too close in color to the background, to the point where the area to the north looke like it might be buffer zone. I dont think it is, but the greens are too close in tone and color.

It would help to lighten the surrounding terrain to make the features of focus more prominent.

hope this helps-

DMoore

DMoore

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United States

Excellent comments All! I really appreciate you taking the time to look at the map.
Dorn Moore, GISP
Green Space GIS

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Aside from what the others have already mentioned, my eye keep getting pulled to Luabo. The halo effect and river make it read like it is hyphenated.

There seems to be a relic effect on the river north of Chupanga and the text Mopeia.

As DaveB mentioned, I am one of those people who can't stand to see the word Legend, Key, Map, or Distribution on a map.

Your colors don't match with your buffer zone on the base map and in the legend. Furthermore, there appears to be a blue outline on the southern portion which is not shown on the legend

Same can be said about your reserva(s), the colors don't match your legend.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->