• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

http://eaves.ca/2009...-the-open-city/

!!!!
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

I have to wonder if this move is something to do with the Olympic games coming to Vancouver early next year. It's interesting to see a Declaration of Independence type proclamation stating that are open to considering technology other then main stream products, but it's better said then done. Will other cities follow or will big business find a way to make open source software illegal.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

eli

eli

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Canada

it was approved - yay! I asked for some data last year from the city for a non-profit group that I volunteer with, and it was challenging to access the most useful data for our purposes. they said, in effect, they didn't want us to replicate vanmap. they did gave us the basics, which was awesome. though, i must say, i wasn't super impressed with the quality of their attributes (no labels for roads? really city of vancouver?).

hasdrubal, i think the olympics is the reason for many things happening in the city, but i think it would more likely be used as an excuse to keep the data private (aka "security concerns"). i'm super impressed they pulled it off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->