• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

SydneyNS

SydneyNS

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Canada

Hey all,

I have a question for a map i'm developing in ArcMap.

I have a layer of XY coordinate event symbols, and I have a layer of Proportional Circle Symbols. All i want is for the XY symbols to be drawn above the proportional circles. I have tried every combination of advanced drawing options with joining and merging, but all of them place the proportional circles over the XY symbols. I have tried it without advanced drawing ticked on. I cant seem to get the XY's over the circles for some reason. Can anyone help me out?

Cheers,
Scott

jrat

jrat

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • United States

I assume that you already tried dragging your xy layer above the porportional circles layer in the table of Contents. If you table of contents are not visible Window- table of contents.

Hope that helps.

SydneyNS

SydneyNS

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Canada

hey, ya ive tried that in all forms, grouping the layers, ungrouping them, grouping some, putting them in order from top-bottom, then from bottom-top in the table of contents, all with the advanced drawing options unchecked. I dont get it, everything i've read said this should work. My only guess is theres some way of layering XY events and layering symbols, and that they generally dont talk to each other, or are on two different layer lists. I'm baffled.

thanks

Crischan

Crischan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Spatial Information Design
  • Germany

what exactly do you refer by "XY coordinate event symbols"?
Crischan Wygoda
http://wygoda.net

ceicher

ceicher

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • United States

Hi

If you are symbolizing a polygon layer in ArcMap with proportional symbols, then the prop symbols are actually drawn in the "annotation draw phase" which always comes after (above) the feature draw phase. Result is that the prop symbols will be hovering above the XY layer, regardless of your TOC draw order.

One decent workaround is to get polygon centroids and store in a new POINT feature class (I think there's a Geoprocessing tool for this). If you symbolize these POINT features with prop symbols, they should draw in the regular draw order, allowing you to draw your XY layer above.

No guarantees, but you could give this a try.

-Cory

SydneyNS

SydneyNS

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Canada

Ill look into this. Thanks very much for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->