5 replies to this topic

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

When I run topology with must not overlap and must not have gap for one of my soil polygons. Do I need to increase the snapping tolerance to close the gap in between 2 polygons? How do I identify the problem when I run must not have gap for polygons, it does not detect the gap? Is there a way around to do that?

Thanks,
Robert

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

I assume you are talking about creating Topology in a Geodatabase with ArcGIS (Editor/Info).

I believe with the gaps, it only identifies the errors and does not provide any options to fix those gaps You have to do it manually. When you load the topology after it has been created in ArcGIS, you should be able to go through each error.

This help file explains how to work with topology.

Hope that helps,
David

Crischan

Crischan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Spatial Information Design
  • Germany

You may want to look at the clean (for coverages) or integrate tools. One warning though: Try to avoid on-the-fly projections and geographic projections.

C
Crischan Wygoda
http://wygoda.net

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

If I'm not mistaken, for gaps smaller than your snapping tolerance, it should close the gap. Otherwise, it will tell you there's a gap, but you will have to correct it with the edit tools...

Be careful with the snapping tolerance. If it's too large, there's thing you possibly not want to move that could be "corrected". Even vertices within the same path are to be topologically correct:

"A single cluster tolerance is defined for the topology. The cluster tolerance is a distance range in which all vertices and boundaries are considered identical or coincident. Vertices and endpoints falling within the cluster tolerance are snapped together during a Validate Topology process."

I took that from a whitepaper from ESRI.

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Thanks everyone,

I am currently at home and do not have ArcGIS with me, but the other day I was running about 30 soil lines and build them to soil polygons. I ran each of soil polygons to coverage and create labels to detect missing polygons. Well it helps me to identify the problem that topology in ArcGIS does not detect. I ran about 10 out of 30 soil polygons that have a lot of missing polygons. I do not know why but I am suspecting that one of our soil scientists may have done other than digitized? For example, one of the polygons on the right side had more vertices than the left polygon had fewer vertices. This creates a gap or overlap in between polygons. I hope I am making sense.

When you add a soil polygon to ArcMap, the polygon seems to be slowing down and makes my ArcMap unstable. I sent 10 of 30 soil polygons to coverage and create labels. It identifies the missing polygons and creates points where the missing polygons are located.

Any thoughts?

Crischan, I tried your suggest but not sure if I should put soil line ( line) and soil polygons (polygons) in the Integrate tool in the Data Management tools ?

Thanks,

Robert :unsure:

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Ahhhhh..... I think I know what's the problem was. My PC that has ArcGIS is 9.2 with SP6, so my soil scientist group has their Windows with tablet that has ArcGIS 9.2 SP5. So, that is why I was having problems with their soil line work . I look it up ESRI's Patch and Service list.

I am off to Malaysia for three weeks. I will be back on US Soil June 16th. Of course, I will be able to access the computer down under !

Have a good memorial day weekend you guys in USA.

Robert :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->