5 replies to this topic

Tassie_Carto

Tassie_Carto

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Australia

Hi Everybody,

I have a table of street names/labels that I extracted through Linear Referencing using the Street polyline and the Map_Grid polygon layers. After some filtering and "manipulation" using MS Excel, I came out with a nice-looking table/index. Unfortunately, I had to convert the Street Name labels into annotations for editing (in the ArcMap environment). That was when I realized that the text labels in the map does not necessarily correspond to the Map_Grid that the index refers to. A lot of times, I'd have look up the entire length of the street to find the street name which to me defeats the purpose of having an index.

I'll be very grateful for any help/insight you may give me.

Cheers!
Julia

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I think NW Mapbook (or DS Mapbook) has a tool for creating indexes... you could run it for your annotations and at least have a text file to compare to your Excel index instead of looking for each individual label or paste it in Excel and sort the two list and work from there...

Tassie_Carto

Tassie_Carto

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Australia

I think NW Mapbook (or DS Mapbook) has a tool for creating indexes... you could run it for your annotations and at least have a text file to compare to your Excel index instead of looking for each individual label or paste it in Excel and sort the two list and work from there...

Thanks for your help François. I'll have a discussion with our IT about installing Map Book in my PC.

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Hi Julia—not sure how the mapbook indexing works. Have used mapbook a lot but like to keep indexing under my own control.

Personally I would look at creating a point feature class from the final annotation feature class and then doing a join to your index grid so each point gets the attributes of the grid square it is in. This way you know you are indexing the text which is on the map. Make sure the FID on the anno (which came from the feature that was annotated) is kept so you can join back to the streets and get the original road name (and class if important) without any abbreviations which have been made when you cleaned up or placed the annotations.

Hope this helps.

Sam.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

Tassie_Carto

Tassie_Carto

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Australia

Thanks for that, Sam... that was a very helpful tip...

Cheers!
Julia

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • United States

You might also check out the ESRI Mapping Center blog post about creating street name indexes
:)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->