7 replies to this topic

Darren Rattai

Darren Rattai

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Canada

Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone here has experience with TerrGo's GeoPDF and ArcGIS publisher software? I have been in contact with them and they claim that it gives the user the ability to uphold links created in ArcGIS when exporting to PDF.
If this is the case, it would be a great tool for me and makes a PDF map a much better offering!

Thanks for any help,
Darren

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Sounds interesting, keep us updated on how it works! They won't offer you a trial license or something?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

jrat

jrat

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • United States

I have used Publisher from ESRI. I have not been able to export to any other format than pmf. pmf files are opened by ArcReader and Arcmap. Links are maintained when exporting to pmf. Arcmap will allow you to export to pdf and embed layers and attributes. Don't know if that helps.

pghardy

pghardy

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • United Kingdom

This doesn't necessarily help with the question about links, but note that if you have current ArcGIS (ArcGIS 9.3.1 or later patch levels of 9.3), and your customers have current Adobe Reader or Acrobat (version 9), then you don't need any third-party software to create and use georegistered, interactive PDF files. You can create PDF files from ArcGIS that are georegistered, (so Adobe Reader can tell you Lat/Long or coordinate readouts), have layers that can be switched on and off, and can even have the GIS attributes embedded so click on a feature in Adobe reader and see the attributes. See the web help on Advanced PDF features.
--
Paul Hardy
ESRI Europe (phardy@esri.com)

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

It might be of interest to the readers of this thread to know that an upcoming MAPublisher for Adobe Illustrator release, which is expected this spring or summer, will include output to spatial pdf according to the Adobe spec which is supported natively for reading in Acrobat 9.
It includes all layers, attributes and spatial referencing and will not require the use of any additional plugins for Acrobat.
This is the same output that ArcGIS now offers as described by Paul Hardy in his earlier post and is the only way in which to create such spatial pdf documents from within Adobe Creative Suite.

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

Good to know, Ted. I look forward to playing around with that.

In response to the original question, I have a little experience with the TerraGo plugin. It is part of the BLM's eplanning efforts, primarily as a way for the public to comment on our RMPs (resource management plans).

It's been a while since I attended their presentation, but, as I recall, the exported pdf has to be enabled for comment. The public, when accessing the pdf online, would be prompted to install free software that would allow them to mark up the map, indicating issues and areas of concern, and those markings could then be extracted to shapefile.

Eplanning has been delayed somewhat, or I would be working with it on a current project. The only advantage over the MP option (which is certainly something that I would prefer) is that the extraction of shapefiles does not involve any additional software. I believe it can be done with nothing but Acrobat, with the plugin installed.

As I said, it's been a while, so I may not have all my facts straight...
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

haris179

haris179

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Pakistan

well i am using ESRI but never tried this. will get back to you if i get it done. and a question! do you want a referenced map in pdf e.g if you convert it to tiff or .shp or .img what ever...it should be referenced! or you need just a map???

haris179

haris179

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Pakistan

i have done it but i dont know it satisfies your requirement or not. i had .shp file in arcGIS and i finally i got this.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->