Hello from a Closet Cartographer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

bullamakanka

bullamakanka

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Maps, trains, cartoons, illustration, Macintosh, graphic design, prepress, trivia, humor, movies, road trips, travel, green building, strawbale, Volkswagens, cars, trucks, driving, information graphics, Australiana
  • United States

Greetings. I've been alerted to the existence of this site through a fellow member, "Alpinemaps" from LiveJournal. My username there is the same, "Bullamakanka".

Anyone familiar with "bullamakanka" might recognize it as Australian. That'd be me. Grew up in a ghost town (Gwalia) in Australia, now living in Anaheim, California. Quite the transition.

Since the beginning of my time I've been into maps. My focus has been drawing maps of places that don't exist, just random things of towns, countries, islands with states, complete with roads, streets, etc. Some simple, some very detailed and intricate. None of the original drawings lasted, though. I kept everything private for fear people (family) would think I was a little too weird for them.

My other interest was cartooning and drawing in general. Here in the US, I studied Technical Illustration at college in the 80s, then got into printing and graphic design. I currently work freelance from home as a graphic designer/illustrator.

Having apps around like Illustrator made my mapmaking life so much easier. I've spent years on some, others will be open on screen for a few minutes until someone walks by and then they're gone.

The phrase "Asperger's Syndrome" first entered the scene when we were investigating my oldest son and his particular tweaks. Suddenly the light bulb lit up. He has been a more concentrated version of me as a kid. He's into maps, freeways, you name it; his latest thing is to draw out maps of video games, complete with colored keys and symbols. He'll be 10 in July.

I don't know much about this forum/site, so I don't know if there's a place for the imaginary map, or if it's all strictly "reality" and different takes on what's actually out there in dirt, water and asphalt. So I am hesitant to display anything I've done.

Anyway, I will investigate further, perhaps perk up a little and see what this is all about. I would certainly welcome a change in career, and cartography has always been a curiosity as a paying gig. If it pays.

Thanks!

Vince W., Anaheim, CA

wolfegeo

wolfegeo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • United States

Hi,

I've looked at numerous listservs, networking sites, etc... and in regards to cartography this is the best I've found. I'm still very new to the site but have found the membership to be very knowledgeable and helpful.

Welcome aboard,

Kathy Wolfe
WolfeGeo

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Welcome Vince,

Good to see you come out of that closet and see the light. I think you'll find that although there's some heavy doses of reality here we also enjoy the unreal too. There are certainly business opportunities available out there but I think many will say you have to work hard for them. We look forward to you presenting us some of your work in the Gallery. We don't usually bite. It's time to stop hiding those apps and be proud of being just a little weird.
Rick Dey

Michael Schmeling

Michael Schmeling

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Germany

Hi Vince,

if you are into imaginary maps you might like the Cartographers Guild. It all about fantasy maps and they make some very nice ones.
Michael Schmeling
Kassel, Germany
Arid Ocean Map Illustrations
http://maps.aridocean.com
Indie Cartographer
http://www.indiecartographer.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • United States

Welcome!
Rick is right. There is a heavy dose of reality here, because most people make a living with real world cartography. But some of us are also interested in fictional maps, both for their own sake and as a source of inspiration for new techniques to apply to real world mapping. I'm sure there are business opportunities for fictional mapping, although I don't know if there is anyone who makes a living solely from that.
I engage in a little fictional mapping myself from time to time as part of my hobby endeavors and, like you, made fictional maps even as a child. I would be interested in seeing some of your work if you care to share. Anyone here who isn't interested will likely just not comment. Embrace your inner map geek! :D
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I made my first maps when I was about 10 myself, like your son, for video games... I think I didn't turn that bad ;)

Welcome and feel free to share some of those maps! It's always constructive criticism! :)

bullamakanka

bullamakanka

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Maps, trains, cartoons, illustration, Macintosh, graphic design, prepress, trivia, humor, movies, road trips, travel, green building, strawbale, Volkswagens, cars, trucks, driving, information graphics, Australiana
  • United States

Thanks, all. I've posted a map in the Gallery (New Member, First Map).

Vince W.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Howdy Vince, and welcome to Cartotalk and congrats on leaving the closet. We were wondering when you were going to do that :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->