• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Polaris

Polaris

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Making maps and data graphics!<br />Paddling<br />Hiking<br />Gardening<br />Natural Philosophy<br />Loved Ones
  • United States

I'm overwhelmed with all the praise from such talented folks and I certainly feel welcomed.

I'm not sure what I would post in the map gallery, but comments/criticisms on any of the work in my portfolio is welcome, and desired.

The most recent big project is the blue ridge parkway map. At the publisher's request the online portfolio links to only a portion of the map, but the complete map can be seen at:

http://www.polarisma.../brp_n_0815.jpg

and

http://www.polarisma.../brp_s_0815.jpg

I'd especially welcome comments/criticism on this map.

Eric

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

Eric,

I like the natural color. my only comment is I don't understand what the pink is for. It seems centered around towns. Is it urbanization? The other colors blend well, but maybe a some type of legend to relay the ground cover they represent... if the colors were based on ground cover data.

nice work.

Rob

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I moved these 2 posts here since this definitely falls under this section.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

Hi Eric,

First - the maps are beautiful! Nice work with lots of elements. The linework is very sweet, it flows well, no jagged edges or overshoots, etc.

Here is what i see:

Some of the text runs upside down or inverted, and there appears to be a viable alternative to consider.

The state highway badges are a bit dominant compared to the oval badges, I prefer the smaller badges.

The waterfall symbol is kinda large - it would work well with a slight reduction. Sometimes the text/symbol relationship is too close. The blue is a bit different between the waterfall stroke and the text - they may tie together better if they are same (or, you may have wanted to keep them seperate). I think the map is so colorful that the reader may appreciate not having to discern any subtle color variances that aren't truly (categorically) meaningful?

I have trouble finding specific land use areas based on the legend, although you have labelled most. The pink, I assume, is urban, and I like the way it blends into the landscape, but the non-map reader (or maker) may not understand it?

But again, congratulations on a nice piece with lots of complexity, color and texture. (Jeez, almost sounds like wine review)

I'm curious what software/workflow you used for this project.

m.
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

Polaris

Polaris

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Making maps and data graphics!<br />Paddling<br />Hiking<br />Gardening<br />Natural Philosophy<br />Loved Ones
  • United States

Thanks herm! for your keen observations... all good stuff to keep in mind.

The map really isn't clear on the land use distinctions, and really isn't intended to be - my 'concept' with this sort of thing (which I've often done) is to convey a 'landscape image' in the background with detailed information for those who make the effort to discern it and more subtle/general notions of land use for the more casual reader. I don't want the terrain/land use to compete with the line work.

I debated putting land use classification in the legend at all, since they are not always clear on the map when blended with the shading and hypsometric tints.

I can't say I believe I've been completely succesful at this yet - mebbee I'm just trying to put too much info on the map...?

The software/workflow is ArcView for data complilation/classification/cleaning, and Freehand/Photoshop for cartographic production. I also find Global Mapper valuable for data format/projection conversion.

Thanks again to all who have offered their insightful comments on this map!

Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->