- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

slgrif

slgrif

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

I am trying to use the "add xy coordinates" tool in ArcToolbox but the results seem to be in meters (or maybe feet). How can I have the results come back as decimal degrees? I understand that it has to do with the projections of the data frame and the shapefile in question, but I can't figure out what to do.

Suzanne Griffith

aug_aug

aug_aug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

Well, do the points plot in their correct positions? If so then you could re-project the resulting points from meters or feet, which sounds like they are projected in either UTM or State Plane, to geographic coordinates (decimal degrees).

You just need to use the project feature tool, select the point shapefile you just created and then choose a geographic coordinate system (lat/long), NAD 83, WGS 84, etc., rather than a projected one (State Plane, UTM, etc.). The tool should automatically select the correct projection values for the file that you are reprojecting. I would then open a new ArcMap document, adding this shapefile first and see if your values are now displayed in degrees.

Hope that helps.

kay

kay

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Canada

Hello, Suzanne.
Like Michael mentioned, you will have to assign the appropriate coordinate system to the point layer when it is created. I assume that there are latitude-longitude values in the spreadsheet or something and it comes in "meter or feet". If so, try this described below :)

You are using the "adding xy coordinates" from the ArcTool box, right? Try "Add XY data" from Tools > Add XY data from the top menu bar. In this way, you can assign an appropriate coordinate system/projection to the XY dataset when you are creating...

I hope this will work for you :)

Cheers,
K

Zorko

Zorko

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • New Zealand

Hello Suzanne

If I understand your question right, you just want to add 2 new columns to the shapefile containg X and Y on decimal degrees? If that is the case you can use "Calculate geometry" option from attribute table. Coordinates can be calculated in units of the data or dataframe. Set the dataframe coordinate system to WGS 84 and you can calculate XY without using project.

Example image attached.

Regards,

I am trying to use the "add xy coordinates" tool in ArcToolbox but the results seem to be in meters (or maybe feet). How can I have the results come back as decimal degrees? I understand that it has to do with the projections of the data frame and the shapefile in question, but I can't figure out what to do.

Suzanne Griffith

Attached Files

Nikolaj

Nikolaj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Canada

Suzanne Griffith

Hey Suzanne,

If you would like results to come back in Decimal Degrees as an additional DD_Lat, DD_Long fields in your attribute table asides from your original coordinate system, I would suggest using the Military Analyst extension (which is free from ESRI). From there you can do multiple batch coordinate conversions of your original input data. In fact, using ArcGIS 9.2, I find that to display points using the "add xy coordinate" tool when you right click your feature class layer of interest needs to have decimal degrees as opposed to MGRS, lat/long.

Hope that helps.

Nick

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hawth's tools (free add-on for ArcGIS) has a handy little thing where you can change the projection and add back the X/Y to the table.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Johnny Lin

Johnny Lin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Taiwan

Hello, Suzanne

Another solution, you can try "Xtools Pro" the extension for ArcGIS.
http://www.xtoolspro.com/
You can download for 30 day free trial.
By the way, there are lots stuff for free.
After install it, check " XTools Pro> Table Operations> Add X,Y,Z Coordinates... "
This function helps to add X,Y (and Z) fields for specific layer (i.e. point shapefile).
Change your Layer unit as you like (Map/Display units).
Try it!

jkidd17

jkidd17

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Zorko,

Your respnonse was my particular solution... too easy!

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->