* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
2192 replies to this topic

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Just for fun I am reviving something we did on CartoTalk several years ago called Guess That Location. The first person to post the correct answer gets to come up with the next image.
------------------------------------
Name this volcano and eponymous lake:
Attached File  screen_shot_0009.png   1.19MB   254 downloads

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

heath b

heath b

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:the great outdoors, bouldering, martinis, unusual graphical representation
  • United States

It appears to be Laguna de Arenal in Costa Rica and the Arenal volcano. ;)

Heath

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Nice job! I guess that was an easy one to start with. Your turn Heath.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

heath b

heath b

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:the great outdoors, bouldering, martinis, unusual graphical representation
  • United States

Thanks, Nick.

I hold this place dear, since I'll be lounging here sipping cava in just a couple more weeks.

Enjoy,

Heath

Attached Files

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Thanks, Nick.

I hold this place dear, since I'll be lounging here sipping cava in just a couple more weeks.

Enjoy,

Heath

Stiges, Spain, southwest of Barcelona.

heath b

heath b

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • United States

Nicely done (minus the misspelling)! Probably too easy, but it's been on my brain for a bit too long. Here's hoping they become a bit more difficult.

You're up, Rudy!

Heath

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Never quite sure how hard these are to others. This is where I'm planning on spending part of my summer holidays. I've never been here yet and I hope to drive to there . . . .
Attached File  quiz.jpg   538.72KB   154 downloads

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hmmmmmm, a port city within vacation-driving distance from the Toronto area...

Perhaps we should re-post the original rules. I think every day that the location goes unanswered we get a progressively more revealing hint?

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Here's the original rules:

Rules:

• The questioner will post a satellite photo of a specific place or object or building.
  • The place or object or building must be on the earth.
  • The satellite photos may be taken from any common source of satellite photography (Google Earth recommended).
  • The place or object or building must be famous for some reason. This is relative, but don't make it the playground of the school down from your house. When choosing a place the questioner should keep in mind whether, after the answer is known, the other players will be temped to find out where he lives and burn his house down for picking such a stupid location. It does not have to be universally recognizeable but must at least be famous for something. As the photos zoom out, its location can be the best clue for objects that are not instantly recognizeable.
  • The first photo should be at least identifyable to someone who lives nearby or is familiar with the area. No zooming in on a single tree in the first picture.
  • If the the answer in question is a single building or structure or object within the photo, that is ok but it must be stated when the initial photo is posted. For example, if you post a photo of Disneyland, you cannot later claim that the only acceptable answer is the Materhorn roller coaster in the upper left corner unless you desceribed the object in question in the beginning.
  • Each day, the questioner must return to the thread and post another satellite photo at lesser lesser zoom level.
  • Each subsequent picture must contain the area shown in the previous picture. The picture may be somewhat panned, in other words the area from the previous picture does not have to be centered in the next one, but it must be included and identifiable.
  • The round of play will continue until someone has guessed the place, object or building from the original picure.
  • The questioner may, but is not required to, give clues or answer any questions except whether the answer has been given yet.
  • The next questioner will be the person who first answered the question from the last round correctly.
  • The questioner may designate a different person to take the next round. That way no one is discouraged from guessing becuase he does not want to be a questioner.
  • If a questioner is going to be absent from Cartotalk, resulting in a missed photo, he must give the photo to another member to post when the time arrives. The questioner can resume posting his own photos when he returns if that round is still going.

Guidelines:

Questioners:
  • You should create and save all your photos before the round begins. Don't try to go back to the satellite photos and recreate a new higher zoom level each day because you wil be unlikely to get the zoom levels and locations just right from the prior one.
  • You should not upload all of your photos at once at the beginning of the game into the same directory online, since players will quickly learn to link directly to photos which have not yet been revealed. Best is to use the attachment feature of Cartotalk.
  • Make enough photos so that you they eventually zoom out to show at least one entire continent, if not the entire earth.
  • It's okay to edit out details that would give the answer away immediately (such as the lat/lon readout in Google Earth and the compass rose)
  • It's not necessary to have the image oriented north-up.

Players:
  • There is no penalty for incorrect guesses, but there is a limit of one guess per day per round of play. If you guessed already today, you may not guess again until the next photo has been posted.
  • You may use any outside materials as research for your guess. You may go to any maps or satellite web sites of your own choosing in the attempt to find the solution.
  • As a tip, keep in mind that shadows on the ground can help reveal the height and shape of tall buildings and objects.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

its what NYC would look like if the bedrock was a silt/sand bar instead of rock. other than that I'm stumped (likely in Canada?)

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

On to the next zoom level . . . .
Attached File  quiz2.jpg   569.68KB   84 downloads
. . . . which probably doesn't tell you much more than the first one. So, a hint is in order: when I go on my holidays this summer I won't be leaving the country.

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

. . . . which probably doesn't tell you much more than the first one. So, a hint is in order: when I go on my holidays this summer I won't be leaving the country.

Chalottetown, Prince Edward Island is a long long way from Toronto! :)

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Chalottetown, Prince Edward Island is a long long way from Toronto! :)

Right you are! I never said it was close! :) Your turn François!

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Ok then! Let's stay in the "vacation" category... That was supposed to be our first stop for our vacation next fall, until we decided to buy a house instead (priorities... ;) )... I'm looking for the name of the building at the center...

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   321.42KB   159 downloads

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

Ok then! Let's stay in the "vacation" category... That was supposed to be our first stop for our vacation next fall, until we decided to buy a house instead (priorities... ;) )... I'm looking for the name of the building at the center...

Edina! Scotia's darling seat!
All hail thy palaces and tow'rs,
Where once, beneath a Monarch's feet,
Sat Legislation's sov'reign pow'rs:
From marking wildly scatt'red flow'rs,
As on the banks of Ayr I stray'd,
And singing, lone, the lingering hours,
I shelter in they honour'd shade.

It's the castle, in the Old Town at Edinburgh.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SteveR
-->